high performance mode w10(strange behaviour?)8700k

majic12

Limp Gawd
I just change the power settings to high perfomance mode. In task manager i see a cpu usage of 0-1% idling but at 4.66ghz?
So i went to see what is going on in HWiNFO64 and i see that all cores are at 4.7ghz?Idling?

Its a fresh install.No oc.(only ram is in a xmp 3000mhz)

https://postimg.cc/image/585cuxs1j/

I disabled multi-core enhancement and gave it a minimum processor state of 5 in the change power plan options but still the same.

Common sence tells me that if all 6 cores were really runing at 4.7 ghz i woudnt be having a idle temp of 25ºC(shoud be 60ºC +) right?

So is it a bug or is this just normal behaviour?
Can I leave it as it is since temps are fine?

Processor speed doesn’t cause heat necessarily, processor voltage does.
My 8700Ks idle nicely at 5.0 all cores on High Performance @ 25-28C because there’s no load and voltage is minimal.
Load is what kicks the voltage up to max and then the heat cometh.

Give it some load, monitor with CPUZ, RealtempGT or similar.

Windows High Performance power plan locks the cpus at full speed.

I just change the power settings to high perfomance mode. In task manager i see a cpu usage of 0-1% idling but at 4.66ghz?
So i went to see what is going on in HWiNFO64 and i see that all cores are at 4.7ghz?Idling?

Its a fresh install.No oc.(only ram is in a xmp 3000mhz)

https://postimg.cc/image/585cuxs1j/

I disabled multi-core enhancement and gave it a minimum processor state of 5 in the change power plan options but still the same.

Common sence tells me that if all 6 cores were really runing at 4.7 ghz i woudnt be having a idle temp of 25ºC(shoud be 60ºC +) right?

So is it a bug or is this just normal behaviour?
Can I leave it as it is since temps are fine?

1: You are disabling the core speed powering down So yes the power saving features of clocking then teh CPU speed is not there.
2: Yes but why? Why did you change this to begin with? Is there actually a reason for this or are you just blindly following bad tweak advice with no understanding of what you are changing. If so stop doing that kind of crap, most of those "Tweaks" are there are hurting your computer performance and stability

Do NOT
- Disable you page file
- set you page file to clear at shutdown
- set you pc to high performance mode
- Use memory cleaners

If you have no clue on how this affects your system.
This is at best snake oil. and at worst hurting your performance and stability.

1: You are disabling the core speed powering down So yes the power saving features of clocking then teh CPU speed is not there.
2: Yes but why? Why did you change this to begin with? Is there actually a reason for this or are you just blindly following bad tweak advice with no understanding of what you are changing. If so stop doing that kind of crap, most of those "Tweaks" are there are hurting your computer performance and stability

Do NOT
- Disable you page file
- Use memory cleaners

Im coming from a windows vista pc and thats why it was strange for me as im used to see with the high performance plan a cpu idling at lets say 1ghz and boost when needed.(so i had outdated info.Looks like things are just fine and i was scratching my head for no reason doing unnecesary things.Its all set at default now.

The voltage on idle is 1.3-1.35v so i suspect its normal?

In order to get the reduced clocks at idle you need to make a couple changes in the advanced section of Windows 10 power options

In Windows 10 ver 1803

1. Tap the windows key

2. tap settings

3. tap System

4. tap Power & sleep

5. tap additional power settings

6. next, to High-Performance click on Change plan settings

7. In the resulting dialog click on Change advanced power settings

Change 1

8. scroll down to Processor power management and click the + sign

9. then click the + sign beside Minimum processor state

10. click on setting and enter five which will enable 5% as minimum processor state

Change 2

11. click + sign next to PCI Express

12. click + sign net to Link State Power management

13. tap Settings followed by drop down to select Moderate power savings

14. now click apply followed by OK and close dialog

15. Restart the system and observe the new settings

Problem solved

EGUmhk.png

reason for edit: It appears M$ has changed some aspects of power management making old tweaks no longer viable the work around is illustrated above.

Setting vary on a per system/ hardware config in some cases bios settings may need to cahnge. For some enabling C-Stares and others Intel Speedstep. There are also driver and software confilts again no one size fits all.

For best results select Balanced power option and drill down through your advanced settings to tweak to your liking.

Attachments

• tbAeHD.png
    tbAeHD.png
    21.2 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

Do NOT
- Disable you page file
- Use memory cleaners

Can tell you for sure that Dishonored 2 bugs out if Windows isn't in High Performance mode, so sometimes it's necessary to mess with some of this stuff.

Do NOT
- Disable you page file
- Use memory cleaners

I completely agree with the advice on not messing with the page file and memory management, but I've never heard of problems caused by the high performance power plan. I always adjust the power plan to my needs and it usually helps with keeping stubborn device drivers from stalling in their low-power sleep mode.

Im coming from a windows vista pc and thats why it was strange for me as im used to see with the high performance plan a cpu idling at lets say 1ghz and boost when needed.(so i had outdated info.Looks like things are just fine and i was scratching my head for no reason doing unnecesary things.Its all set at default now.

The voltage on idle is 1.3-1.35v so i suspect its normal?

Its been a long time since Ive been on vista but im pretty sure it was the same behavior with Vista.

Can tell you for sure that Dishonored 2 bugs out if Windows isn't in High Performance mode, so sometimes it's necessary to mess with some of this stuff.

Thank you for the information. That is very interesting
How does it bug out ?

I completely agree with the advice on not messing with the page file and memory management, but I've never heard of problems caused by the high performance power plan. I always adjust the power plan to my needs and it usually helps with keeping stubborn device drivers from stalling in their low-power sleep mode.

Never said there was a problem with high performance. Just that it is unneeded "tweak"
"This is at best snake oil." doesn't not imply that ALL of the above things are having problems.
There is just no need to make that adjustment o unless you have a very specific reason

Dishonored 2 stutters a lot if I'm not set to High Performance. I discovered this when I decided to switch to another power plan and got a ton of stuttering. Since doing a google search, I found that others have also used this as a solution to fix the stutters.

Back