High load temperatures

senseiam

Weaksauce
I just setup my new quad core system after being out of the game for a few years. My problem is high temps when stress testing under Prime95. Until I get these down I can't overclock.

Is there a special way of using the OCZ Freeze stuff? I put a rice sized dab onto the cpu and installed the HSF.

My idle temps = 35C to 40C depending on core, I am using CPUID Hardware monitor to check. When I run Prime95 the temps shoot up to 68C!!

I had this at 3.4Ghz (400x8.5) with 1.25vcore and my load temps went to 72C with Prime95 so I immediately stopped testing.

Should I reseat the HSF and/or apply the OCZ Freeze in a different manner?

Hardware =
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 E0 stepping
GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P
XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm with OCZ Freeze TCC

Check out this article for how to install paste http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=170&Itemid=38&limit=1&limitstart=5

And if you dont already have one, I would suggest you get a bolt-on kit for your heatsink (it reduced temps 3-4*C at load compared to the push-pins)

Thanks! I believe that link did the trick. When I installed the HSF I just put a rice sized dab on the cpu - it wasn't nearly enough to do the job. I followed the instructions on that site and my temps are now normal. It's around 29-32C idle and about 49-53 with Prime95 running. :D

Anyone know the max safe temp for the q9550 while OC'ing? Would 60-65 load temps be too high?

Thanks! I believe that link did the trick. When I installed the HSF I just put a rice sized dab on the cpu - it wasn't nearly enough to do the job. I followed the instructions on that site and my temps are now normal. It's around 29-32C idle and about 49-53 with Prime95 running. :D

Anyone know the max safe temp for the q9550 while OC'ing? Would 60-65 load temps be too high?

TJMax for the Q9550 is 100C, and you should really look at getting RealTemp 3.0 for watching your temps.

Watch the silly pushpins. Its best if you have the mobo out of the case so you can look at the backside to verify the pushpins are fully seated.

Also I 2nd the suggestion for the bolt down bracket

So far the X1283 has served me well even on my OC'd Q9650, a better fans helps though

Watch the silly pushpins. Its best if you have the mobo out of the case so you can look at the backside to verify the pushpins are fully seated.

Also I 2nd the suggestion for the bolt down bracket

Yeah the pushpins were a bitch to get back on, I cut myself a couple of times. No cuts during the first install. :(

I am going to look into the bolt down bracket but I couldn't wait on that now and not play with this new setup a little. :D

Back