• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

High latency in Windows 7

Nightbeat

n00b
Joined
Feb 3, 2013
Messages
13
Hi. I'm using windows 7 64 bit. I have stuttering issues when scrolling pages in google chrome/firefox/chromium or any other browser, I also experience those stutters\lags in games like BF3 (even though FPS is always above 60).
My pc specs are:
AMD Phenom II 955 x4 @ 3.2GHz stock
Scythe Mugen 3
GA-770T-D3L
2x4 Kingston 1333MHz
Gigabyte GTX560Ti Windforce 2
Silverstone Strider 600W
My OS is installed on a 60GB SSD (TRIM enabled, AHCI mode), everything else is on a Seagate Barracuda 1TB, they both have more than 50% free space.
My CPU/GPU temps are fine, 45c max for cpu and 71c max for gpu in full stress
I used LatencyMon to track the cause, been messing with it for a few days now.
lately I realized that every time I move my razer deathadder - the DPC count of USBPORT.SYS jumps by 500 at a time. I tried using difference mouses and it does the same.
There are other drivers with very high latency like tcpip.sys, storport.sys, nvlddmkm.sys, ndis.sys..
In addition to all that, the page hardfaults are extremely high. there are always more than 1000 fautls and they are at 175000µs in average, sometimes they jump to over 1000000µs.
What I've done so far:
- reinstalling every driver (Chipset, LAN, sound, graphics..)
- disabling powermizer
- disabling every power saving feature in bios and control panel (Power plan - high performance, C1E is disabled, Cool&Quiet is disabled)
- running prime95 and memtest86 for over 16hours each - no errors found
- scanning for bad sectors in HDD - found none
- clean boot
- reinstalling windows (about 10 times)
None of these attempts helped reducing the latency.
I took some pictures (If you need any other results from LatencyMon let me know):
DPC counts in order : http://i.imgur.com/gfQyscF.png
ISR counts in order : http://i.imgur.com/OAXUTHh.png
Sorry for the language, I don't have an English windows version.
I'm also sorry for any grammar mistakes - english is not my native language .
I would really appreciate any help, I came here because I have basically tried everything in order to solve this and as you can see I failed.. :eek:
Thanks in advance! :)
 
Using anything Logitech (mouse/KB)? I know for firefox I got crappy scrolling using the Logitech Setpoint extension and go on to disable it.
 
Have you tried different USB ports for your mouse? It could be a hardware fault that's causing the latency issues and I've seen poorly powered USB ports or even intermittent USB ports cause latency issues before.
 
@Rouge, only a razer mouse (deathadder)
@mdmcaf, yes I did, tried front, rear, even the usb ports on my monitor lol
 
If your Windows 7 install DVD is pre-SP1 you might be experiencing usb issues, since the SP1 installation doesnt update correctly some usb drivers, try running this utility just to make sure everything usb is using the most recent version of the files.

IS your motherboard running latest bios version?
 
Hi. I'm using windows 7 64 bit. I have stuttering issues when scrolling pages in google chrome/firefox/chromium or any other browser, I also experience those stutters\lags in games like BF3 (even though FPS is always above 60).

Did you disable:

CPU Core Parking

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00\0cc5b647-c1df-4637-891a-dec35c318583]
"Attributes"=dword:0 (Set it to Zero)

Go into power options, high performance, change plan settings, change advanced power settings, and set "Processor power management" "Processor performance core parking min cores to 100%

Disable Network Throttling Index

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile
NetworkThrottlingIndex=ffffffff

If these don't resolve your issue. Check if you have any form of power saving or CPU throttling enabled in the BIOS. It could also mean your CPU is getting hot and the CPU throttling could be kicking in. Many people forget to clean the dust of their CPU cooler.
 
You probably already did this, but it wasn't mentioned: Have you updated the firmware on your SSD and motherboard?
 
Thanks for the replies guys, I have done everything you said. the latency is still high. :(
Ran latencymon for only two minutes, and the results are: http://i.imgur.com/V9nTQN1.png
I did update SSD and motherboard to the latest firmware a few weeks ago (mobo only has one which was released in 2009), it is definetly not the SSD since I tried a clean install without it. it's boosting up the system by much giving it boot times of less than 15 seconds!
Faulty motherboard? might be, it's currently my only thought.
 
If your motherboard has an option for: HPET ''hopefully you do have this option'' try enabling it within your bios and you must enable it in windows 7 too through command prompt. I used it for fixing throttling issues on my cpu, but some people swear it helps with general latency in windows also crossfire studdering & general fps. http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1...s-for-better-performance-and-fps/page__st__30 <-- scroll thur this, find & download winTimerTester. After you've enabled HPET in bios and windows 7. Reboot & test - with WintimerTest. If QueryPerformanceFrequency in wintimertester is 14MHz it is working
 
Maybe a older conflicting driver is still installed in the background. You can look in device manager, click view tab, show hidden devices. Things may become highlighted, & Non-plug & play drivers will show up you can look in there. Maybe your missing certain chipset drivers even. Or theres something previously installed in the non-plug and play drivers that's making it act up. Or if your motherboard has an option to adjust: Pci latency timer. default is normally 32 ''if it's too high it can hurt performance too'', the more use raise it, it allows more time for devices to communicate with eachother. "might" be worth a try bumping it one up & testing.
 
Did you try Safe Mode?
Also remove any non critical addon card from your computer case, also disable any non-critical devices in BIOS (lan, serial ports etc.). Remove any 3rd party driver you had installed and see with only the Windows-supplied drivers what's the situation. Sounds like a (semi)faulty device/driver. Could be something on the Mobo. Check the SMART status of your disk drives. We assume you have run some long test for bad sectors for your disk.
 
I have similar specs AMD II x4 965, except I am using two HD4850 video card in Crossfire mode. Your problem is how the video is getting handled by the CPU and GPU. Seen this problem on motherboards with onboard video from the chipset, you'll want to offload that video to separate GPU.

I don't have the hesitation problem using Windows 7 64-bit OS.

You may try a good ATI/AMD video card.
 
Wow this sucks. Hope something works for you. Random things to check off. 1. Make sure the time and date/ year in the Bios match the time date / year in your OS. 2. My motherboard on default has unstable, the northbridge was too low & HT link was too high and things were acting up. Ideally you want those two at the same speed -> ''northbridge and HT link same speed for stability". In cpu z since your memory is at 1333 it will display around 666.+ Mhz in the memory tab. I've heard plenty that the northbridge needs to be 3 times that so at least a north bridge of 2000Mhz & HT link matching at 2000Mhz for proper communication. If your northbridge was too low or the ratio was bad that will have some affect on latency.
 
Back
Top