High in-game pings when running P2P clients -- I'm all out of ideas [WRT54G]

WaLieN

2[H]4U
I am seeing high pings (~600ms) in games such as CS:S and WoW when running my P2P client. When I shut down my P2P client, this does not happen. Now, I would like to be able to run my P2P client when I am gaming, as I have the bandwidth to spare. I think this issue lies in my router settings.

My max upload/download speeds are ~300KB/sec down / ~60KB/sec up. I have a Linksys WRT54G w/ the newest final version. I enabled it for 8192 concurrent connections. I also made the P2P port low priority in the QoS settings. Here are my Azureus settings:
untitled1copy5mk.jpg

I am using port 49150, and this port is open. I have tried other standard ports to no avail. This issue happens even if I am just seeding @ 12KB/sec, and not downloading. I am also using the SafePeer plug-in.

If anyone has a clue on what my issue may be, the help/advice would be appreciated.

Have you tried to run your P2P client on another machine and then game on your machine?

I see the issue is mostly in the caching of your hard drive, thus your ping is jumping.

Not completely sure, but very close to positive.

I know I'm going to come across as an asshole here but wtf do you expect?! lol

Even if you had 1mb/down 1mb/up, running BT while gaming would hurt your pings. It's not how fast you're transferring, it's how many clients you are connected to at once. Next time you're running a torrent, open the cmd prompt and do a netstat. It's nuts!

Treyshadow said:
Have you tried to run your P2P client on another machine and then game on your machine?

I see the issue is mostly in the caching of your hard drive, thus your ping is jumping.

Not completely sure, but very close to positive.

hd swap shouldnt make his ping jump... if any thing it would be his framerate would drop... i aggree with you that he should try a different box and see what that dose for pings... i know with torrents, the clients constanly looks for more sources, and is constanly reciveing bad sources, (old or dead hosts sent from lists by other torrent usres) if 30 people have a host as good, and that host goes down, you have to wait for the cascade to take effect and for them all to list it as being off line befor you stop getting info about that host, thus the packet thought put is very high despite no real data being sent, also torrents use a fair amount of cpu power to keep up with lists ect... again.. this would make your frame rate jump.. not your ping... try a different machine, and see where that leads you, if its still bad.. it maybe your router... or your SOL...

thore

I've read some of the 3rd party firmware for the wrt does QoS better, especially for those P2P apps. It seems the Linksys firmware isn't all too hot on performing that....but maybe try some of the 3rd party firmware.

Else, some of the newer approaches to prioritization of packets, routers based on Ubicoms new QoS engine, like that new DLink Gaming router....the jury is out on if they do well in prioritizing traffic.

I believe it's not so much your connection abilities, but the routers get overwhelmed by all the concurrent connections. Not to mention those P2P programs are suicide for your machine..but that's another topic.

Indeed, P2P progs have a tendancy to flood routers. They establish a tremendous amount of connections, and as such, everything becomes bogged down.

Cyclone187 said:

Even if you had 1mb/down 1mb/up, running BT while gaming would hurt your pings. It's not how fast you're transferring, it's how many clients you are connected to at once. Next time you're running a torrent, open the cmd prompt and do a netstat. It's nuts!

Yes its called the difference between bandwidth and latency. If your only using 50 KB/sec but its taking 100 connections your ping is going to be bad. plain and simple. stop the P2P before you game online.

oakfan52 said:
Yes its called the difference between bandwidth and latency. If your only using 50 KB/sec but its taking 100 connections your ping is going to be bad. plain and simple. stop the P2P before you game online.

I do agree, but what is odd is that my computer used to be fine while running P2P apps while gaming. Would it be that the connection queue is getting flooded on my router? Another thing I noticed that is if I allow ~10KB/sec for P2P upstream, my bandwidth monitor usually says something to the tune of ~20KB/sec. I suppose that extra 10KB/sec is from the connections it is trying to make, correct?

edit: http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=1497 -- I'll try out that patch and let you guys know how it goes. Apparently, SP2 has a new TCP/IP connection limiter (from unlimited capped down to 10/sec. now).

Cyclone187 said:

Running bt/p2p on even high end cable/dsl lines will murder them. Especially new files where I'll see 15k people between seed/leech (usually anime).

Easiest, shut it off while gaming. Its not the router or your pc, connection cant take 1000 connects while seeding xx amount of things.

Stop the P2Ping when gaming, or get a 3rd party firmware, and change some QoS settings around to give the P2P low priority, higher gaming priority, etc.

BillLeeLee said:
Stop the P2Ping when gaming, or get a 3rd party firmware, and change some QoS settings around to give the P2P low priority, higher gaming priority, etc.
That has already been done, if you read my post. ;)
I think the patch I posted above should resolve this issue, as this issue only began after SP2.

I FIXED IT!!!
What was the problem? Just as I thought, it was WinXP SP2's limited TCP/IP connections. After modifying the correct file to allow more outgoing connections, the problem went away completely. What as happening before was that WinXP was creating a bottleneck in the connection queue by limiting it to 10/sec.

So, for those who thought that it was the router/bandwidth, it isn't.:p

If anyone ever has a similar problem, just download the file that I linked to a few posts up. I upped mine from 10->150. All my issues went away! :D

ha, that's funny. I didn't even consider that. Should've had you check the event logs to see if windows was gobbling up your connections.

Well, glad to see you got it fixed.

Durh, nevermind on what I editted out. Wasn't payign attention.

Sieravor said:
ha, that's funny. I didn't even consider that. Should've had you check the event logs to see if windows was gobbling up your connections.

Well, glad to see you got it fixed.

Durh, nevermind on what I editted out. Wasn't payign attention.
Yeah, I figured it had something to do with SP2, as the problem cropped up a few months ago (near the SP2 release).

Back