High flow fitting vs. perfect seal fitting

Nykad

n00b
High flow barbs look like this:

Perfect Seal barbs look like this:

I dont have experience with "perfect seal" barbs but I have yet to see any problems with my high flow fittings. I doubt you'll see much of a difference in performance, but I recommend high flows for ease of installation (easier to slide over a cone than over a wide opening).

Actually the perfect seals are easier, it has less surface area, the tubes slide on and off really easily. The high flows are bored out wider inside I belive, the perfect seals worm clamps fit perfectly and seal reallly tight, plus usually they are shorter overall.

Actually the perfect seals are easier, it has less surface area

I'm using 1/2" ID tubing so by the time the tube actually rubs against the barbs it's near the back of the tip and there is barely any resistance. However, I have perfect seal-type fittings on my MCP655 pump and they never end up as nicely done when tubbed up.

I'm using 1/2" ID tubing so by the time the tube actually rubs against the barbs it's near the back of the tip and there is barely any resistance. However, I have perfect seal-type fittings on my MCP655 pump and they never end up as nicely done when tubbed up.

Is it the plastic ones built into the pump? Metal barbs are far easier to get tubing off than plastic.

I hate the perfect seal fittings. They're a massive pain to get hose onto and I always feel like I have to put way too much pressure on the fitting to get the hose on.

Agreed... go with the high flow fittings when possible. perfect seal fittings are a pain the arse...especially w/ 7/16" tubing.

The only WC leak I ever had was on a so-called 'perfect seal' fitting. So I used a wormdrive clamp to try and exert more pressure....and the clamp cut through the hose! Conversely, high-flow 1/2" barbs with 7/16" tubing don't even need any form of hose retention - at least in my experience. Plastic fittings provide an incredibly good seal, but be prepared to get out a craft knife to cut the tubing should you need to detach it. I don't like 1/2" tubing, although the Swiftech/Laing pump fittings are an absolute bitch to get 7/16" on to (even with boiling water and olive oil)

just put some spit on the fitting and slide the hose on. some people use hair dryers to soften it up before.

spart over on the dd forum uses the perfect seal w/o any clamps and has no problems. I prefer the high flow myself

Back