• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

High-End PSU for Mini-ITX build

kindasmart

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Mar 30, 2008
Messages
1,761
EDIT: Expanding my list to include 80-plus GOLD power supplies.

I'm planning to build a Mini-ITX system using the Corsair 250D case and I'm looking for some input regarding which premium PSU I should use. The system will be a high end build: 4770k, 16GB, SSD, HDD, Optical drive and "uber" gfx card. I'm thinking around 500-550w so full/max power load will be around 60-70% to keep noise/heat down. I live in Phoenix AZ, so heat output is a concern.

Basically I want a "halo" quality PSU around 500-550w that's as good, if not better than the 660w unit in my sig.

This Seasonic unit seems to be the only one meeting all my spec's at Newegg.

tl;dr.
Need 500-550w PSU.
Requirement below.

1) Cost is not a concern. Quality is.
2) Fully modular.
3) Clean power output.
4) High quality internal components/fan.
5) 80-plus Platinum/GOLD cert.
6) Low heat.
7) Low noise.
8) Warranty.

Suggestions welcomed and appreciated. Thanks in advance.
 
Last edited:
I've read that the Kingwin supplies are good but how do the Antec and Rosewill units listed here stack up? I might just have to go semi-modular to get a super quality "low wattage" unit.

Any other suggestions? Thanks.
 
platinum rating will be the ones that can restrict your choice by a lot. if you go down to gold standards then you will have a lot more choices.
 
I'd go with the Kingwin platinums. Superflower based units. Super solid.
 
platinum rating will be the ones that can restrict your choice by a lot. if you go down to gold standards then you will have a lot more choices.

This makes sense. There is almost no difference between gold and platinum anyways other than ePeen.

If I expanded my search to 80-plus GOLD PSUs, which HALO products should I be looking at?

I'd go with the Kingwin platinums. Superflower based units. Super solid.

The Kingwin is definately near the top of my list.
 
Well, you're saying "Uber" graphics card, and that can mean dual GPU like the (rumored) upcoming gtx 790. That kind of card is going to draw a lot more than a single GPU, so if you are considering something like that, you might want to up your wattage to the 750 range. That range has a lot of great PSUs.

If your going to stick to a single GPU, it wouldn't hurt to get the same thing as you have now. Its a great PSU and the extra hundred watts won't make it louder.
 
Back
Top