• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

High end pc speakers

davepoint

n00b
Joined
Aug 18, 2006
Messages
60
Hi - I'm looking to completely rebuild my computer in say January and have been trying to find some good new speakers to go with it(my usage includes lots of gaming music and films). Anyway to the point - I had been considering the gigaworks s750 but having done a bit of searching they seem to be nothing but trouble, with a seemingly unavoidable heat issue - so the question is what else is out there at that level? I mean in an ideal world I would love to buy some floorstanders or bookshelf speakers but once the new pc is bought I will have nowhere near enough to get a good set of those.

thanks for any help :)
 
The best speakers are true home theater surround sound speakers and you can buy an adapter to plug into your soundcard but I always thought the Logitech Z series pc audio were ok.
 
thanks. I'd love to go mad and spend 5 trillion quid on audio gear but alas...Not with what they pay me :)
 
The Klipsch Promedia Ultra and the Gigaworks are on the top of the multimedia speakers category, for that price you can only get better sound quality from stereo studio monitors or a pair of floorstands/bookshelfs, otherwise you'll end up paying dearly. The Logitech are nice but are not in the same league.

I'd say that if you can get an extended warranty go for either one of them or save for a full fledged surround setup. Remember that on the net is more likely to find posts about problems than guys saying "I've been running them for two years". Also take in consideration that the satellites in the S750 are Newton M100 ($80 a piece) with a tweeter on steroids, even if the amp dies you can still buy an A/V receiver and still get decent sound.
 
well fair enough, but it seems somewhat worrying when there are about 15 posts in a row on the creative forums with exactly the same problem
 
I'd recommend a bookshelf solution.

SC to reciever. Then options open up alot
 
The gap in quality between top end pc speakers (klipsch, gigaworks, and logitech) and low end HTIB systems is HUGE in my opinion.

I would really spend some time researching the home theater route. You may be pleasantly surprised at the gains in quality you can see by taking only a marginal step up in price.
 
Yeah I feel the same, a good surround receiver and speakers is killer!
Buy second hand, you can get amazing kit for very little.
If you can fit floor standing front speakers where you are, even better.

If you go for smaller speakers all round, you will need a subwoofer.
I have a sub with floorstanders (using no lower cutoff) and recommend it.

Always match the centre speaker with the front pair for an effective sound field.
Matching rears are best too but if you have some others sat around, try them.

Match metal dome speakers with metal dome speakers, silk dome with silk dome etc to get better sound transistions between speakers.
Metal dome speakers will give you a brighter/sharper sound and stronger surround presence.
I use silk dome speakers which have a more laid back sound for music but they arent quite as good in movies. Still ace though :D
 
Yes I am quite tempted to just say sod it and save up for some proper equipment. Space I think at I push I could create, but it's not like it would be in a large space - my computer room is quite long but not amazingly wide. I wouldn't want to get a bunch of high end stuff only for them not to be used properly
 
Back
Top