High end Mini-ITX PC... Is it possible?

Nixeh

n00b
Hey guys, im new to the Mini-ITX scene, and was wondering if a high end mini-itx pc is possible.

What im looking for is:
Mini-itx system
Intel Core2Duo
PCI-E ATI x1950XT (or there abouts)
At least 2Gb of ram
slim slot loading DVD-RW
2 or 3 Sata HDD

I was looking at this motherboard:
Mini-ITx Motherboard
But dont know what its like and if it could hold up

For power i was looking at getting 2 of these:
Shuttle PSU
and using them as one to provide enough juice.

Is there anyway of having an external power brick that would be powerful enough for this?

Im looking to build the case myself.

Need your opinions and input on this, as im looking to use this for a small form factor main pc.

Look for Pico-BTX. Intel makes some PicoBTX boards (with PCI-E X16 slot) and there are at least a copule of PicoBTX cases out there.

For something that powerful, I would consider moving up to something slightly larger like one of Shuttle's barebone systems. There is no way you would be able to power a core 2 duo chip and/or an x1950xt on an external power supply either. Since you said that you wish to make use of your own case, I would look around ebay for a FlexATX motherboard and using that instead. It isn't a lot bigger then a miniITX board, but it will be a lot cheaper, and you will also be able to use a core 2 duo processor (the mITX board you linked us to is a core duo, not core 2 duo).

Yeah i didnt think there would be an external power brick powerful enough thats why i also suggested running 2 Shuttle 250w psus in tandom to provide enough power.

Also do you have any suggestions for boards in those form factors?

This fits the requirements that you posted and allows for expansion should you choose to add more hard drives later on for example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16856101015
Even though it includes a case, the Shuttle barebone probably costs less than the board you posted (don't forget that this one is a Core 2 Duo too). It even comes with one of those power supplies that you plan on using.

Yeah, thing is im a bit of a DIY freak, and well i wasnt looking at the shuttle because theyve gotten sloppy recently and i dont like the propreitary tech. Im not really fussed about the money (within reason) as i have most of the parts already, all i really need to get is the mobo and psu and slimline slot drive.

Is it possible to rig 2 of those shuttle psu's in tandom and get them to run 1 system.

Well, don't forget that the motherboard you linked us to is not a Core 2 Duo, but instead a Core Duo. So if you already have a Core 2 Duo processor, purchasing it would not be a viable option. I don't know of any Core 2 Duo mITX motherboards, so you may be forced to use something larger. As for running the two power supplies together, you should be able to do that with few difficulties. You could dedicate the second power supply to powering the video card and the first to the motherboard and drives.
In order to turn on the secondary power supply, you would need to ground pin #16 on either pin #3, #5, #7, #15, #17, #18, #19, or #24 if you are using a 24 pin connector. If you are using a 20 pin connector, you would need to ground pin #14 on either pin #3, #7, #13, #15, #16, or #17. You could wire a simple switch to do this or even make the power button turn on both simultaneously.
Another thing that you may have overlooked/forgotten is that you will need an adapter to connect the slimline drive to an IDE port.

Surely the X1900XTX would be far larger than your mini-itx motherboard, negating any point in having gotten mini-itx in the first placve ?

I'm currently running a high end system in a mini-itx case.

Its based on the commell lv-677 dc board which will take a core duo 2 laptop chip and a pci-ex graphics card, 2 sticks of DDR2 as well.

There are several issues with going for high end for mini-itx, one is power the other is space. Firstly you aren't going to be getting a big top of the range graphics card in one as they simply won't fit. Secondly you won't be powering them with the onboard or built in psu.

If you want to use the X1900XTX and two shuttle psu's you may as well just get a shuttle. It will be the same size as any mini-itx system you built with those parts anyway.

You need to use a graphics card around 17cm in length really, that drops the power down and fits in a mini-itx case. I'm using the cubit 3 case for my rig at the moment and its great: http://www.gordyhand.co.uk/cubit.htm

Well gordy, i planned to do soemthing like you did with Project Mini me, just without the shuttle mobo.

Ive heard the shuttle 250w psu can power quite a lot, though you wouldnt think it from its wattage size.

Im designing the rough layout in sketchup as we speak so i shall get you some screenshots to show you what i mean.

At the moment i am completely in the design phase and its a little project i would like to do, though i dunno when ill get around to it.

Just out of curiosity, can you get 90 degree riser cards for pci-e like you can with pci?

cheers for the link, though i think for my plan to work i will have to keep fingers crossed for a flex pci-e extender.

Think ive found what i was looking for: PCI-E Flexi Extender

Nixeh said:
Well gordy, i planned to do soemthing like you did with Project Mini me, just without the shuttle mobo.

Ive heard the shuttle 250w psu can power quite a lot, though you wouldnt think it from its wattage size.

Im designing the rough layout in sketchup as we speak so i shall get you some screenshots to show you what i mean.

At the moment i am completely in the design phase and its a little project i would like to do, though i dunno when ill get around to it.

Just out of curiosity, can you get 90 degree riser cards for pci-e like you can with pci?

The shuttle psu's are very good quality so I wouldn't be surprised if one would work for your setup. The main power drain is the graphics. Other than that its not much. I believe they even do a 300w psu now, which maybe worth looking for.

I'd love to see some plans so do post them when you have them :)

Back