High-End Mini Itx Build: Burnew

Burnew

n00b
For the past couple of months I've had to watch my computer suffer. Her fans have given their final rotations, her hard drive has said no more to 1 min boots and has resigned to 5 minute boot times. My graphics card has began to scream from the insanity of it work. I think its time to put her down.

Thats why for the last couple of months I have been saving every penny I've gotten and have gotten to a number im happy with. There have been bumps along the way without a doubt though. I've decided to take to mini itx route as im one for smaller systems that don't take too much room.

SPECS:
- CPU: i7 4790k Clocked @ 4 Ghz
- GPU: GeForce GTS250 (Yes, you read that right this is wear the money stopped)
- PSU: Evga 850 G2 (Yes, too much power for this rig, but it was on sale)
- SDD: Intel 730 480 gb
- HDD: Western Digital Black Edition 1TB
- RAM: 16 Gbs Trident Ram
- MOBO: Z97I-Plus
- CASE: Cooler Master Elite 130
This is what I need your guy's help with. I plan on upgrading to the 250D along with the H100i Cooler for the CPU then a H80i for the future GPU.

Any Words of wisdom on things I should change or things I should mod to make what I've got any better? Ideas on what GPU I should go for would be a great help!

I WILL POST PICTURES APON REQUEST!!! :D

https://pchound.com/eR427M/ <------- WHAT IM AIMING FOR!

Last edited:
buy a cheaper SSD, cheaper i5 cpu, and an aircooler
and put the money to at least a 960($200) or r9 280 and 285
if you game on 1080p those gpu suffice.

unless you do cpu intensive work, i5 is enough for a single gpu

So, you're going to switch to the Z97I-Plus now, and then switch to the Impact VII later?
You're going to switch to the CM130 now and then switch to the 250D later?

I don't understand why you would want to put two AIO coolers in one build. Two relatively noisy pumps won't do you any favors.

What is this going to be used for? Depending on the answer to this there might be a few tweaks that could get you more bang for the bucks.

Get a Crucial MX100 instead of the Intel 730. Half the price gets you 32 GB more space and Crucial is (along with Samsung) the #1 SSD maker IMO. Intel is living off their long gone X25M glory days.

The $200 should now put a GTX 960 within reach, because frankly, a GTS 250 is kinda pointless, may as well just use the integrated GPU of the i7. If you get a good custom cooled GTX 960 (MSI Gaming/Twin Frozer, Asus Strix, EVGA ACX) you can also scrap watercooling it because it will be very quiet and cool to boot.

I appreciate everyone's responses very much and as for the different part choices, I've already bought everything listed. I bought such items because this machine is for streaming. It also hugely for rendering and multi-tasking. As for GPU thats where im stuck on making a choice. And the reason for 2 cooling units is because I tend to live in a higher temperature area and AC bill does get a bit high, besides that though compared to my current 4 fans at maximum speed, having 4 fans on low with 2 pumps on low wont make too much noise. I also will be building another mini itx unit for my brother so once i have enough for that ill probably be investing in a custom water loop. So having these closed loops will give me some time to tweak with them (use them, and mod them for a dual pump custom loop?).

As for pictures i will post those momentarily!

The $200 should now put a GTX 960 within reach, because frankly, a GTS 250 is kinda pointless, may as well just use the integrated GPU of the i7. If you get a good custom cooled GTX 960 (MSI Gaming/Twin Frozer, Asus Strix, EVGA ACX) you can also scrap watercooling it because it will be very quiet and cool to boot.

I will consider doing this. The reason im going so extreme with this is because im a day to day computer user on the extremer side. I like small form factor, and i dont plan on upgrading this computer for another 5-8 years. So once this system is done i will probably be replacing the cooling with a custom water loop, as why im not too worried about sound and temps atm.

AqcFosw.jpg

J62GhmA.jpg

DieP2FM.jpg

M5m79aC.jpg

Last edited:
I appreciate everyone's responses very much and as for the different part choices, I've already bought everything listed.
Then what exactly is the point of this thread?

And the reason for 2 cooling units is because I tend to live in a higher temperature area and AC bill does get a bit high
The heat your PC is emitting is always the same, no matter what cooling is used.

Impressed that you got that 850 G2 in there. We have a club at OCN if you would like to join, http://www.overclock.net/t/1452338/cooler-master-elite-m-itx-case-owners-club/0_40

If you are going to keep this system as is for the next 5-8 yrs, whats your plan for a videocard since that GTX250 is pretty outdated to run newer games, etc.

I plan on upgrading it to maybe a gtx 970. I will be keeping this rig but probably doing a pre made water loop or a custom loop at some point

Back