high end graphics card in a shuttle?

I just bought an All-in-wonder 9700 pro and it suggests that I use a 300 watt power supply or higher. I guess this means that I can't buy that shuttle that I always wanted and put this card in it, because shuttles power supplies are all under 250 watts.

If it is possible to put this card, or any high end video card, in a shuttle case could someone please tell me why? ... please.
:)

I've used a 9700, 9800 256, AIW 9800 128, and a 9800XT.

they all worked fine.

not sure how the high end 6800U's will work though.

So running your components on a 200->250 watt power supply was fine? You didn't have to do any modifications? Did you test stability?
I would of that the power supplied wouldn't be enough. Well if it works for you then maybe I'll go for a shuttle, I was thinking of the SN45 or SN85.
Thanks.

X800XT or X800Pro should work fine.
I believe they use even less power than a 9800XT.

computerfan said:
I just bought an All-in-wonder 9700 pro and it suggests that I use a 300 watt power supply or higher. I guess this means that I can't buy that shuttle that I always wanted and put this card in it, because shuttles power supplies are all under 250 watts.

If it is possible to put this card, or any high end video card, in a shuttle case could someone please tell me why? ... please.
:)

look at my Sig. and im using a 250psu :)

It all depends on the quality of the power supply, ATi and NVidia usually overestimates actual power needed because of el cheapo's out there. Be careful with the 9700's though, they draw more power than spec on the 5v line on startup, a 250w should be okay, but with the 200w's, you'd need to hookup a delay circuit or send the PSU to Shuttle for them to disable overvoltage protection.

Over the past couple of days I have started to favour the Antec Aria, as it has a 300 watt power supply. I like it because it's a little more roomy which should be a bonus for cooling and overclocking. That and the fact I can purchase the mobo seperately. Thanks for the info though, I didn't know it was possible to put that kind of hardware into a shuttle.

hey Azn226, how hot and loud does your system get, and have you modified the cooling system (heatpipe and fans) ?

I ran a 9700 and a 9800p in a Shuttle SB61 with no issues whatsoever. Overclocked as well on both cpu and vid card.

that looks like one serious rig.
I got my antec aria now, I don't think all do as drastic changes as that, but I have a few lined up.

Back