High 6800K temps with H115i

Nick_Leo

[H]ard|Gawd
I am getting horrible temps with this cpu. Hitting 90C on some cores at stock clocks. I tried to overclock it but any extra voltage will put it into thermal shutdown. I am running a corsair 850d with 2 intake fans at the front, 1 exhaust at the rear and the radiator at the top acting as an exhaust. I originally had the fans as intake but switched to exhaust to see if it would change my temps. There was zero change in the temps. Even with the radiator fans at 100% the temps are in the 90s at stock clocks. Should I go for a push pull config? What am I doing wrong here? I was about to get it to 4ghz with 1.129V but the temps were insane and it would start shutting down cores. Looking at benchmarks these temps should not be this high.

Touch the radiator, does it feel like 95C water is running through it???

Check in your BIOS to make sure the fan header controlling the pump is running at full speed. After that, it's likely and issue with the block mounting on the CPU.

Or the pump was DOA :eek:

I can hear the pump get louder when I change the rpm so I think the pump is fine. I have it on full speed. I am running a stress test now on stock settings and the package temp is 88C. The odd cores are all 80c+ while the even cores are in the 60s. Core 5 is the hottest at 89C. It also says my watertemp is 34C. The radiator is warm to the touch.

Can you hear/feel the pump working? It looks more like an improper mounting issue, though. Like it's not perfectly sitting flat on the cpu surface. A very small misalignment may causr huge issues. Make sure you are using the right hardware for you socket.

What kind of MB do you have?
I remember having horrible temps as well then changed some settings in bios and voila the temps dropped by about 20C°

check your mounting and make sure it is TIGHT, like all the way and even! I just installed a h110i gt into my system, followed the not too tight that it said in the instructions and had way higher than expected temps. so I pulled off my side panel, fired up amd overdrive stability test, then I tightened the screws with a screw driver and watched the temps drop until I couldn't get it any tighter without fearing breaking the plastic retention tabs(uses stock amd brackets). it dropped like 10c! on your intel it will be trickier to get an even tightness too as there are four bolts/screws/whateveryouwantocallthem.

I have a MSI x99a Gaming Pro Carbon. After thermal shutdown I returned all the settings to stock. Ill try messing around with screws on the block to see if I can get them tighter.

yeah make sure everything is tight and that there is even pressure on all four corners. if you have more paste to apply after, you could always pull it off to check the seating.

Don't just tighten. Un-mount, then mount. I had an old H70, and the mounting was off when I first installed it. So tightening the screws would not have helped. You don't want to strip anything.

Back