Hiding Wires -- Electrical tape?

Bgrngod

Limp Gawd
Anyone got advice on what kind of tape to use for holding down wires under a motherboard? Just plain old electrical tape (the dark black stuff) or is there some kind of magical electrical tape that people prefer?

Behind the motherboard tray? Electrical tape or duct tape, if no one sees it, it doesn't matter XD.

I used black electrical tape when I put my Antec 900 together for the first time. After having to take it apart a few times, the electrical tape ended up leaving a sticky residue behind, which gets funky. I ended up cleaning the residue with rubbing alcohol, and after I had my case powder coated, I ended up using these:

tiw-28.jpg

My local Home Depot carried big packs of them, for cheap. They were in the electrical dept.

I used black electrical tape when I put my Antec 900 together for the first time. After having to take it apart a few times, the electrical tape ended up leaving a sticky residue behind, which gets funky. I ended up cleaning the residue with rubbing alcohol, and after I had my case powder coated, I ended up using these:

tiw-28.jpg

My local Home Depot carried big packs of them, for cheap. They were in the electrical dept.

This will sound stupid but how do you use those things?

I used Low adhesive masking tape with good results. It is strong enough to hold wires in place, yet guaranteed not to leave adhesive even after several months.

Edit: after looking for what i bought, It is also known as Painters Masking Tape.

This will sound stupid but how do you use those things?

You just throw in a zip tie throught the holes and it will hold your cables. Don't know if there is enought clearance under a mobo for those though. Guess it depends on what case you have.

tiw-28.jpg

That's funny you point those out. I noticed them in my old case when I took it apart the other day and thought they were pretty cool. While at Home Depot just an hour or so ago I saw some and picked up 2 packs of 10. They should come in handy. Definitely not enough clearance to fit under a mobo with them though. I can find plenty of other uses. Like hiding my water kits cabling.

Now I get to start taping stuff down. My old PC is getting converted into an HTPC. This should be fun.

Back