• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Hiding the FAH Client

Snobok

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 18, 2004
Messages
1,432
Well, I'm gonna try again to gett my high school to put FAH on all of the school comps this year. The one thing that I am kinda concerned about is that if you use the graphical client, a little icon appears in the taskbar. And knowing my fellow students, they are gonna screw around with the comps out of curiosity and/or hacking. Is there a way to hide the existence of the FAH client? (No, I am not gonna borg without permission) I figure I may as well try as I have more friends in the new school administration that took over when the principal retired at the end of last year. I just wanna make sure the other students don't screw around with FAH if they let me borg the school.
 
They can still cancel the process if they go into the task manager and kill it from there, however, if you just want to hide it from view, you can download the Console version of F@H and run it as a service (it starts up with the computer, works for all users, and is hidden unless you use the Task Manager to see it). Remember to fold for Team 33!!
 
The console client is certainly the way to go, and if you're worried about people killing the session, you can run it as a service, and under the services properties, you can set it to restart x number of minutes after it fails (or is killed via task manager).

Or if running the GUI is important, you can use HideItX to hide the existence of the tray icon.

 
I've got a question I've been meaning to ask...

I installed the client as a service on XP, set it up saw it working and then restarted to get rid of the dos window. After the reboot and XP was done loading I checked task manager to see if things were working. I noticed that CPU usage was at 2% and mem usage for FAH_core at 2700kb so I knew something was weird and just re-installed it and now hopefully it works if some one restarts the machine. Any ideas?

A side note, I had a problem with a proxy before and depending on the network, I found that choosing yes to "Use Internet Options" works but seems slower in connection with Stanford's servers.
 
Which core was running, also, you might want to look at the FAHlog.txt file in your directory, if any error messages are going to show up, it'll be in there.

 
you *could* run the console version as a service, and disable their access to task manager...

they can't kill it if they can't see it. also, "hide" the folder, in case they see it and change the name. or set permissions such that they can't write to it. (or delete)
 
Back
Top