Hide me [network neighbourhood]

calhoun

Gawd
Hi,

I remember(or not as the case may be) a Registry hack for win2k which hides a computer from being visible in the network so that you had to know the name of the computer to get to it via \\comp name instead of just randomly browseing the network neighbourhood untill you find it.

But I cant seem to find what it was anywhere and want to apply it again :(

Anyone know where/how ?

Originally posted by calhoun
:confused:
No one got a clue? :(

Google is the IT guy's best friend. Don't ever forget that :).

From Google
With a simple registry change, it is possible to hide all other computers from the Network Neighborhood view. This does not change the ability of the computer to access other computers in the workgroup or domain, it just prevents them from appearing in Network Neighborhood. This can be a handy security measure, or can be useful for those "power users" who like to nose around. Here is the change to make:

Hive: HKEY_CURRENT_USER
Key: SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Network
Name: NoWorkgroupContents and/or NoEntireNetwork
Data Type: REG_SZ
Value: 1

You may have to create the entry, if it doesn't exist. Always use caution when editing the registry (a backup is recommended first).

try searching for something having to do with broadcasting your name on the network

Do you want to hide your computer from everyone's Network Neighborhood, or do you want to hide everyone's computers on YOUR network neighbohood?

i don't know if i'm understanding you correctly but a simple firewall program like zonealarm (free) can make you invisible

Back