Hibernation issue on Windows XP SP2 All Laptop Brands

NDPTAL85

n00b
Hello everyone. I just got my new Dell Inspiron 9300 this week and I installed 2gigs of RAM. Thats when I discovered a very annoying issue. When trying to use the hibernation mode the laptop will fail to go into hibernation and give me the error: "Insufficient system resources exist to complete the API" I did some searching on Google and discovered that this was an issue that existed on WinXP SP1 but was resolved with a hotfix. That hotfix was supposed to be included in SP2 but either it wasn't or SP2 broke the hotfix because the issue is now back. From what I have read, anyone with a laptop with more than 1.25gigs of RAM will experience this problem if they've had a fair number of programs loaded before trying to put their laptop into hibernation mode. This issue appears to happen on any make or model of laptop capable of supporting a large amount of RAM.

Microsoft appears to be dragging its sorry butt on resolving this as SP2 was released quite some time ago. Has anyone figured out a fix other than reducing the amount of RAM in the laptop?

Thanks for all your help.

It won't install. It says it will only install computers with no service packs installed.

I have 1.5 gig of ram on my Dell D610 and I use hibernate all the time no problem. Using a fresh install of XP SP2 and whatever updates that are out on windows update.

Haven't had that problem, but I've never tried SP1. My laptop was SP2 to begin with.

I asked my brother last night (Inspiron 8600 w/2GB) and he isn't having a hibernation problem with XP SP2. Strange how some people have it and others don't. I wonder if it could be a problem with ACPI or some other BIOS controlled feature.

I'm using a fresh install of XP SP2 as well. In fact its straight from the Dell Recovery CD that I burned. I have no idea why I'm experiencing this problem and no one else is.

Do a fresh install from an actual XP cd, I think you will find there is probablly something wrong with your burnt disk.

Back