Hi-res pics of GeForce 6800 @ Beyond3D

Geez , vid card companies seem to be taking "Flagship" to a whole new level. I wonder if you will be able to surf on ATI's new card too. I might buy one of each and go skiing if that's the case :D

Nice find. Although all these pictures are sorta getting annoying, I mean how many times can I look at a video card?

Originally posted by eriamjh
Nice find. Although all these pictures are sorta getting annoying, I mean how many times can I look at a video card?

as long as u have tht POS ATI Radeon 7000 64meg PCI in ur rig :D

this is ridiculous. the cooling and power needed for this board are stupid. theyve cranked up the power, cranked up the speed, cranked up the cooling.

they need to advance technologically. work on manufacturing process or something, this is getting out of hand.

i was reading on the beyond3d forums where one of the testers said his machine would always crash after 25 mins of gaming due to heat.

granted, we arent going to know for sure any of this is true til reviews and releases.

but, i hope nvidia OR ati can create a card with more reasonable cooling and more reasonable power consumption, else ill be with my 98np for awhile.

Originally posted by Garage81
this is ridiculous. the cooling and power needed for this board are stupid. theyve cranked up the power, cranked up the speed, cranked up the cooling.

its evolution. get over it ;)

Originally posted by Bad_Boy
its evolution. get over it ;)

the problem is theyre NOT evolving.

if Intel and AMD 'evolved' the same way these video card companies are, then wed have heatsinks the size of JLo's ass on our processors.

if they are not evolving then i dunno wtf is happening. its damn sure not a revolution because this happens everytime, and new technology is bound to happen, and this is just nature's path.

more power, more speed, more cooling.

happens everytime... evolution

edit: arguing on the internet is like..

hopefully board vendors can innovate on the cooling system and make a more reasonable solution.

we can all hope for that.

I think what he means is that the technology itself is stacking rather then changing.

Example: If I had two brains like the one I currently have, I would be smarter. But, wouldn't it be more efficient (ie smaller head) if my one brain did twice as much work?

I tend to agree with this. Its getting to the point where they might as well just put a power cord on the back of their video card so you can plug it into the wall.

somethings evolve diffrently.
and and i guess you dont take it lightly, that video cards and cpu's do.

Originally posted by NeoNemesis
I think what he means is that the technology itself is stacking rather then changing.

Example: If I had two brains like the one I currently have, I would be smarter. But, wouldn't it be more efficient (ie smaller head) if my one brain did twice as much work?

I tend to agree with this. Its getting to the point where they might as well just put a power cord on the back of their video card so you can plug it into the wall.

EXACTLY :D

its gonna be so hard for Dell and other OEMs to use cards based on this GPU if all versions of it require such power and cooling requirements.

granted, dell and other OEMs are usually shit, but thats where most of the business comes from.

Originally posted by Garage81
EXACTLY :D

its gonna be so hard for Dell and other OEMs to use cards based on this GPU if all versions of it require such power and cooling requirements.

granted, dell and other OEMs are usually shit, but thats where most of the business comes from.

Dell and other OEMs don't carry the ultra-high end cards in their standard desktops anyway, so does it matter? Granted you might see these in the XPS's and such, but those are designed differently.

The funny thing is I have a Dell 8200 which I may have to use if I get 6800 because my self built system I only has a 350PSU in there but the 8200 I updated last summer with a top of the line PC Power and Cooling 410 due to the amount of hard drives for movies.:p

Originally posted by Bad_Boy
switch the psu's? ;x

No! The 410 is made to fit the Dell and I dont have the original anymore also and I really dont want to see the 8200 without a PSU because it has all my goodies. If anything I will just sell the damn AMD settup I built because it has been hell trying to sell 8200 in the FS section. And to be honest is not that faster than the Dell which is 2.53P4 with a 1gig rdram. I wont mind getting 10 fps less staying with the Dell if it has a 6800 Ultra...which it will.:p

Originally posted by Vonkhan
as long as u have tht POS ATI Radeon 7000 64meg PCI in ur rig :D

GASP! Now thats just mean :D

And I will have you know I am upgrading it to the Visiontek Xtasy 9200 256meg card (still pci, I love pci).

And yes I do like the pics overall, its just most are the exact same shot of it from head on. I like that there are cool closeups in this posting.

Agree with Garage81.
All of this does matter, because many are switching to laptops to replace desktops.
Guess what? Dell and a few others have discontinued offering the P4 3.4EE because it's not available. Neither are the Prescotts, they're egg fryers. They're offering the Northwood 3.4 instead.
If this card is hot, then forget it, the mobile market will wait for ATI, which is already used in about 95% of all laptops.

i hope ATI can save us with their usually effecient cooling/power consumption, but we will have to shell out at least 500 just to obtain some 16 pipes of goodness:(

Back