HGST Ultrastar 8TB 7200 RPM 128MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" HDD

Lumpus

Limp Gawd
Newegg promotions (sale ends Wednesday)

Folks lately here have been bemoaning that NewEgg didn't seem to sell these anymore...
The BEST/MOST RELIABLE HDD's available... but almost sold out now :/

I have probably bought eight of these over the years for work/home - and ought to buy 1-2 more just to put away for the future, since they're not making these anymore :/

HGST Ultrastar He8 HUH728080ALE600 (0F25739) 8TB 7200 RPM 128MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Helium Platform Enterprise Hard Disk Drives Bare Drive - OEM $219.99 (New)
https://flash.newegg.com/product/9S...-1c-KKcQ8-2GHZLM&om_rid=302676514&om_mid=1910

Refurbished: HGST Ultrastar He10 HDD HUH721010ALE604 (0F27606) 10TB 7200RPM 256MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5-Inch Helium Platform Enterprise Hard Disk Drive - Refurb $209.99

https://flash.newegg.com/Product/9SIA9948MJ2983

Refurbished: HGST Ultrastar He8 8TB 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s 128MB Cache 3.5-Inch Enterprise Hard Drive HUH728080ALE604 (0F25721) - OEM - $149.99
https://flash.newegg.com/product/9SIA9948ET7802

In case you come across one, there is another version of the 8TB Helium drive which I use.
HUH721008ALE600
Sustained maxes near 240MB/s.
I got mine off Ebay last year for £180 (inc 20% vat).

A lot of HGST stuff is harder to find now that WD bought them out.

Still, I don't see where the reliability comes in--most enterprise class drives have a 5 year warranty and these only have 3 like consumer drives. :confused:

The warranty they offer is through the seller, serverpartdeals, and not through western digital (hgst), so just be aware of that.

These are noisy I own 2 6TB HGST Helium drives which are only good for Data and not games or programs that is accessed alot because they will start making popcorn grinding noises and drive you nuts unless you have a heavy insulated case. You can quiet that with Windows power managment but even that doesn't work all the time.

These are noisy I own 2 6TB HGST Helium drives which are only good for Data and not games or programs that is accessed alot because they will start making popcorn grinding noises and drive you nuts unless you have a heavy insulated case. You can quiet that with Windows power managment but even that doesn't work all the time.
That is likely a problem with your particular drive unless you can cite where this is documented.
My version (posted above) is very quiet and runs very cool.

I have an HGST 6TB NAS (none helium) and that runs hot and noisy, from just after WD took over.
Perhaps its a tech issue with drives produced around when 6TB came out.

Last edited:
We have a lot of HGSTs and overall they do tend to run noiser than WDs/Seagates, but I'd rather have reliable drives than quiet ones because the quietest drives are no drives at all. :D

And honestly I've never understood people complaining about noise--our Cyrix p166+ build back in the day needed 17 fans to keep it cool and I forgot about that noise while I was using the system itself. Using thin clients and rdping into systems has made me a bit more conscious about the benefits of no noise, but it's a 5% gain for me, and I would have no problem if the server I'm logged into right now was by my feet because I'd forget about the noise in a few days.

I've been using an 8TB He10 drive for a while and just bought an 8TB He8.
While the sustained figures with benchmarks are similar, the He8 is way slower in practice.
I would say its less than 2/3 the speed I hoped copying large files.

Its also a pretty hot drive!
The He10 is very cool, it doesnt even need a fan.
The He8 with a fan is on the edge of comfortable temps.
Its 6C hotter with a fan than the newer drive without a fan.

There is also a rumble, I had to put a sock underneath it to keep the noise down.

Last edited:
Back