HGST NAS 4tb vs WD Reds 4tb for raid.

Kirika

Gawd
Are the HGST Nas 4tbs reliable or recommended? Saw in the hot deals section HGST Nas 4tb is on sale right now and $10 cheaper ($175)and 7200 rpm vs the WD red 4 tb ($185) which are only 5400 rpm. I been buying mostly Western Digital drives over the years and been using WD Blacks or Seagate SAS drives in my raids.

The HGST NAS line is actually quite good. We just received a couple of the 4TB drives here at work and for 7200RPM drives they're very quiet, fairly cool and speedy. Warranty is only 3yrs but same goes for the Reds. I took these home for a week and copied 3TB of data back forth and these kept pace just fine. It might still be too early to say for sure but I'd say that the Reds have real competition in the NAS category now.

It's too early for me to make a comment as well but the drives are working quite well. Personally, my luck with HGST (prior to WD's involvement) has been great so the price differential was a no-brainer but that's just a subjective belief.

Thank you. With the sale strongly considering getting the HGST Nas 4tbs. They review well from a performance standpoint but I guess we will have to wait and see as far as long term reliability since they haven't been out long enough to know, they only come in 3tb or 4tb.

Back