HGST HDDs???

AnIgnorantPerson

Limp Gawd
What happened to all the HGST Deskstar NAS drives? I have a bunch of the 6TB I was getting for my Server and now I can't find them anymore.

They were one of the best 7200 RPM drives in reliability and I need to buy some good 6TB drives.

Did they get rebranded or what is my next best option?

HGST was bought out by WD back in 2012. They finally were allowed to merge the product lines about a year ago.

HGST was bought out by WD back in 2012. They finally were allowed to merge the product lines about a year ago.
So for me the question is whether or not WD is continuing to build the HGST designs, and which "color"? Is WD designing and building the next generation of drives based on the HGST designs?

So for me the question is whether or not WD is continuing to build the HGST designs, and which "color"? Is WD designing and building the next generation of drives based on the HGST designs?
yewa because the HGST drives beat the Red series :/

Anyone have a recommendation on what 7200 rpm drive I should get? If the HGST is simply not manufactored anymore?

3TB are great but I had terrible luck with the 6TB and so have others. Unless has that changed?

I just saw this from sidmirD so I'll probably get WD blacks from CDW outlet.
https://www.cdw.com/product/wd-black-6tb-7.2k-sata-3.5in-hdd-bs/5543038?pfm=srh
Can't comment on the 6tb drives, but I've been rocking a handful of the 5tb drives in my NAS and plex server for a few years with no complaints. If their quality has fallen off since that was the "primo" capacity I'd probably go WD. From what I hear Seagate is starting to produce some quality drives, but it'll take a while to erase the barracuda ES 1TB memories I have. They're like a half-step up from Maxtor in my mind.

Now the hgst drives are "wd hgst dc 510, 520... etc series" . Cause of this double nomenclature, usually they are listed just "wd", sometimes "hgst" or both. Someone will concur that's "ultrastars" only, but looking at the price they"re between desktars and ultras. Ultrastars cost was almost double than deskstars price back in the day.

Last edited:
Now the hgst drives are "wd hgst dc 510, 520... etc series" . Cause of this double nomenclature, usually they are listed just "wd", sometimes "hgst" or both. Someone will concur that's "ultrastars" only, but looking at the price they"re between desktars and ultras. Ultrastars cost was almost double than deskstars price back in the day.
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16822234362

these? they aren't even sold by newegg.

on amazon

https://smile.amazon.com/Western-Di...rastar+6TB+DC&qid=1559683163&s=gateway&sr=8-3

I know things change, but seagate was worst for me and ALL of my WDs died eventually.

HGST , Samsung and Hitachi are the only ones surviving

i have a qnap 659pro2, 871 and 1282. my 871 was loaded with 8x 6TB, at one point the QNAP came up with a bad firmware that cause all my 6TB drives to die. according to HGST, the mainboard got burn out. HGST was blaming on QNAP, and QNAP denied. eventually they came out with a corrected firmwares for quite alot of their QNAP servers that has the RAID SCRUB feature.

anyway, all 8 of my 6TB (HUS7206060) did die eventually. +2 hotspare. that makes it 10x 6TB drives. they either had unrecoverable bad sectors that added 10-50 sectors per day or they eventually just become undetectable.
China HGST refuse to accept that it's their fault but was willing to accept a fee of USD30 per day for a one to one swap. and they replaced it with HDN7206060

just last week one of the oldest HGST 6tb just died (only 19 months ago) HGST told me they are out of 7206060 drives. they offered to replace me with a WD 5400rpm 6tb for my HGST 6tb 7200rpm drive. they said if i wanted a WD pro 7200 or new 726T6T6 drives, i would need to pay USD40 per drive.

Back