Hey, Looking for a program that limits bandwith!

Firebat

Gawd
I've been in a quest for a while now. I've been looking for a program that can limit my overall network outgoing bandwidth but not effect my incoming bandwidth. Does such a program exist? Can I achieve this some way through my router's settings?

What kind of router do you have? It needs to have some sort of QoS features for you to accomplish what you want to do.

If your router does not have any QoS features i would reccomend a m0n0wall as this is probably the most cost efficient and simple way to achieve QoS through traffic shaping.

xphil3 said:
If your router does not have any QoS features i would reccomend a m0n0wall

If the user only has one computer it might be more logical to suggest a software limiter for this sitution. I know there are programs like that available - I just don't recall the names at the moment.

Malk-a-mite said:
If the user only has one computer it might be more logical to suggest a software limiter for this sitution. I know there are programs like that available - I just don't recall the names at the moment.

This was what i was first thinking, but he wants to limit the "overall" network performance. Sure, if he wants to run ICS(assuming he runs windows) he can score himself a program that will do QoS.

I have a dlink router and it needs to be my whole network, not just one computer.

Malk-a-mite said:
Details are always helpful

Ok... I downloaded the program BANDWIDTH controller, from the link Chernobyl1 provided. I set up a rule for upload speed limiting it to 100kps. However the rule had no effect.

That program is great and all but what i really need is a program that can hit my whole network not just one computer.

Firebat said:
That program is great and all but what i really need is a program that can hit my whole network not just one computer.
Bandwidth limiting the network depends a lot of the network setup.

How are the computers connect to the internet? Are you only interested in limiting the internet bandwidth or do you want to limit/ change the local bandwidth as well?

Well, there's only one solution to this "problem" if that's the case:

You need some specific hardware that goes inbetween your actual connection and the LAN itself to limit the available bandwidth provided, or...

You need a computer acting as a router that can throttle the bandwidth to clients, aka a Smoothwall powered Linux PC or something similar.

The only way you'd be able to do this sort of thing under Windows would be to have one machine as the gateway using NAT for all the rest, and NetLimiter running the gateway machine.

There are solutions, but there isn't just one simple program (other than NetLimiter, of course) but that needs to be installed on each client machine. No one piece of software installed on any given machine will throttle bandwidth on all the clients unless that machine is also the gateway controlling the connection itself.

Hope this helps...

drizzt81 said:
Bandwidth limiting the network depends a lot of the network setup.

How are the computers connect to the internet? Are you only interested in limiting the internet bandwidth or do you want to limit/ change the local bandwidth as well?

The appliances connected to my router are 3 computers and 1 xbox. I'm trying to limit the whole bandwidth with an application from one computer.

xphil3 said:
What kind of router do you have? It needs to have some sort of QoS features for you to accomplish what you want to do.

If your router does not have any QoS features i would reccomend a m0n0wall as this is probably the most cost efficient and simple way to achieve QoS through traffic shaping.

like I said before firebat, if your dlink has no QoS features you need to put something into the mix(dosen't matter where if you only want to shape WAN traffic). What the model of the dlink?

Like I said originally, run m0n0wall. You will need a recycled machine, but if you can't do this you can also do what I said in another one of my posts and run ICS(internet connection sharing) which bascially makes your main machine a router with windows NAT implementation along with this net limited program.

Firebat said:
The appliances connected to my router are 3 computers and 1 xbox. I'm trying to limit the whole bandwidth with an application from one computer.

not possible with your current setup.

Sorry for the monster bump. I was out for a bit. I use this program to "Bridge" all the connections on my router together. It's called Cain and Able.

Here is a small picture tutorial on how to bridge your connections together.

So all the stuff hooked up to your router now runs through this program.

Now there is a way to limit bandwidth with this program, however i have forgotten. It's been over a month. I'll try to figure it out, when i get back from work. Until then you guys should experiment, and try to find the way. This program is the key.

P.s. Your anti-virus may say this is a virus. It only says that because the program can be used by you, for other purposes. It will not harm your computer in any way.

http://www.oxid.it/cain.html

So you say you are using Cain and Abel on a pc that is attached to your router, to logically bridge all the connections ON your router, using only 1 network card? Something smells very fishy about that.

F4iGuy said:
So you say you are using Cain and Abel on a pc that is attached to your router, to logically bridge all the connections ON your router, using only 1 network card? Something smells very fishy about that.

There is nothing fishy about it. Try it.

F4iGuy said:

well, you're right.... it is fishy. This is a very very dirty way to do what he wants to do. All he is doing is ARP poisoning which is mostly used for sniffing switched network traffic, also called "man in the middle attacks"

The program is essentially sending ARP packets to every host on a sepcific subnet stating that they are the gateway. This intern will "poison" the ARP table/cache on the local machine and all traffic will be sent through the "poisoning machine".

Firebat, this should definitely not be considered a permanent solution as it could very well cause switch issues in the long term if something does eventually go fubar. I think I stated it earlier in this VERY DEAD THREAD :D that ICS is probably your best bet if your using a windows box.

xphil3 said:
well, you're right.... it is fishy. This is a very very dirty way to do what he wants to do. All he is doing is ARP poisoning which is mostly used for sniffing switched network traffic, also called "man in the middle attacks"

The program is essentially sending ARP packets to every host on a sepcific subnet stating that they are the gateway. This intern will "poison" the ARP table/cache on the local machine and all traffic will be sent through the "poisoning machine".

Firebat, this should definitely not be considered a permanent solution as it could very well cause switch issues in the long term if something does eventually go fubar. I think I stated it earlier in this VERY DEAD THREAD :D that ICS is probably your best bet if your using a windows box.
o wow, this might be the most ghetto way to limit bandwidth that i have ever seen!

killa62 said:
o wow, this might be the most ghetto way to limit bandwidth that i have ever seen!
Thats what I was thinking. To the OP, I've been researching DD-WRT (open source firmware for home routers) the last few days, and it seems they offer a version with QOS services that include bandwidth throttling based on switch ports. www.dd-wrt.com . check it out.

Cain is FAR from the program you want to use to limit bandwidth, check for dd-wrt as mentioned, and if need get a router supporting dd-wrt. You sure do NOT want to use Cain.

Cain is FAR from the program you want to use to limit bandwidth, check for dd-wrt as mentioned, and if need get a router supporting dd-wrt. You sure do NOT want to use Cain.

Well, Cain gets the job done.

I'll give dd-wrt a try though.

Back