Hey, Kyle....

The ASUS rep on Facebook is saying that it's not so much a performance boost per se, but rather better power delivery to the CPU and memory controller, which yields better and more stable overclocking of the CPU and memory.

The ASUS rep on Facebook is saying that it's not so much a performance boost per se, but rather better power delivery to the CPU and memory controller, which yields better and more stable overclocking of the CPU and memory.

which would allow for more performance:p:p:p

Last edited:
Yeah, very interested in this myself. Hoping to see a RVE review from [H].

ASUS is showing a vcore of 1.8 in their example though, jebus. I doubt I'll be ever be even approaching that much unless I put my computer on the deck this winter when it's -30C outside(that has crossed my mind before). If extreme voltages like that are needed to take advantage of the OC socket then it's a non-factor for me and most others, even by [H] standards.

It is my belief that it is a marketing gimmick. Do the pads on the CPU even connect to the die?

According to the ASUS articles I've read, the newest E-CPU has some extra contact points..

These points wouldn't be/aren't needed to function properly, but in the "OC Socket" the CPU will receive more voltage and thus be more stable for overclocking.....theoretically.:D

To clarify:
More voltage "connections" reduce the voltage drop across the voltage supply lines to the chip.

It allows current to flow to the chip with less resistance on the supply lines.
Any resistance drops a voltage across it, the voltage drop rises with higher current flow.
So as current flow varies, the voltage drop also varies, adding a variable error to the voltage received at the chip.
This error always reduces the voltage and adds a little instability that could have a negative effect when pushing the boundaries of the chip.
Reducing the voltage error brings the voltage the chip receives up closer to the voltage supplied.
You wont be concerned about this at all unless you want to run high voltage and a healthy overclock.

I wouid hope that all mobo mfrs would make use of all voltage supply lines on performance boards.
It seems daft that only Asus would use them.

Just caught a couple of blurbs on TPU and OC.net that Intel might not be too pleased with Asus modifying the 2011-3 socket and could potentially void warranty on any dead/damaged chips that show contact with those pins--not sure if FUD or truth but will see if any more comes of this. Have used Asus for years but now am curious for more information. Anybody else seen or heard of this ? Doubt it would be a problem for me but it could be a concern for others if true.

Here is my general feeling right now and I do not have a lot of X99 experience under my belt yet. I think that almost all X99 platform overclocking is going to be CPU limited. I have an MSI X99S XPOWER on the bench right now and it overclocks no differently from the ASUS X99-Deluxe.

Keep in mind that when ODMs design these motherboards, these companies do NOT have access to retail silicon. While the ASUS socket design might very well provide greater overclocking in theory, that does not mean you will see those results on retail purchased silicon. It would seem to me that getting 4.5GHz out of retail silicon right now is pretty big feat.

And yes, Intel is AOK with the ASUS design.

I'm mainly interested in seeing how good the 5930k clocks, and how well it will perform in comparison to the 5960x. Hopefully [H] has a CPU review/roundup in the coming weeks. ;)

Back