• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Hey I have an annoying problem.. Help Please.

swirly

Gawd
Joined
Nov 21, 2004
Messages
553
I bought a Power Supply recently and I can only install it upside down. That is the only way it lines up with the screws. I think it's my case but can I take off the plate with my fan adjuster/plug and everything and jstrun it right side up, or will it interfere with wires and so on? This bothers me!!!!

Thank You,

**SwiRly**
 
why do you think its upside down?

they are often photgraphed with the "top" fan up
but it actually points at the CPU Heatsink to pull its exhaust out of the mobo compartment
and so mounts "down"

the spec calls for very specific holes to mount the supply and case manufacturers almost universally follow those
if the supply mounts above the board its likely right
a few cases have alternative PSU mounting locations like on the bottom of the case, in which case they normally invert it I think

Ive had to drill and tap holes before, but then I was mounting ATX-PS\2 formfactor supplies into rackmounts (4U)
which puts them on their sides
 
Trust me, it is upside down... The plug is upside down.. I hav to flip it over, the knobs to adjustym fan speed is upside down, so if i turn it left it makes it higher instead of lower.. Help? Can I flip the surface thingy????

Thanks.
 
this happened to my friend as well. He has a chieftec dragon case and an aspire power supply.
 
generally the PSU enclosure is made of two pieces
the base plane the circuitboard mounts to the front plane and the back plane all being one peice
the cover then being the "top\bottom" and sides

so the short answer is not likely
far easier to redrill the holes in the case
or possibly redrill and tap the holes in the PSU enclosure, but be very careful if your doing that to the base component, you wouldnt want to slip with the drill and go too far
a drill press with the stop properly set being the safest way
 
I guess I am just going to have it upside down. This sucks. I am not drilling anything!
 
Ice Czar said:
phffft...spit

@#@#!$%$%#@@ Deer

too light to even make a good doorstop :p

avoid at all costs
Deer rebranded as
Allied, Codegen, L&C, Logic, Foxconn, Mustang, Powerstar,
Eagle, Foxlink, Mercury, Duro, Austin, Turbolink, Real Power.
http://www.deer-group.com/index2.htm

Yeah, I told him to get an Antec Tru 430. He also got a gigabyte board and a giga fx5900 so it's not like anyone listens to me.

M8, just install it upside down, its not a big deal.
 
I know but it bothers me a lot.. I have the Antex 500 Watt..

Hey a few more questions.. On my motherboard it has many places for screws, but only like 8 out of 15 screws will actually screw in, is this normal? It feels secure.. And on the top right screw hole.. I added a pin thingy (plastic) that was on my old board.. I think it helps securing it.. Did I do the right thing? Do you guys know what the pinis? Do any of you have that pinn?

Another question...... You know in back of your case when you wanna install a video card? You have to rip out one of those strips of metal. Can I buy those metal strips anywhere? If I can, where can I buy them and for how much? What are those metal strips names?
 
I don't have a digital camera or anything.. But.. I see many holes but i think all the mounted ones that my screws will actually go in are fine.. I mean.. It seems secure...

Thanks for that link though! ;).. Hey I have a Processor with no fan/heatsink.. I am dead broke.. Does anyone wanna buy me a fan/heatsink for an 80GB HDD?
 
Above all else make sure that any “Stand-offs” sticking up from your case match existing screw holes in your motherboard. If you have some that don’t match holes either move them to where they do or remove them altogether. You don’t want anything sticking up from the case that doesn’t match a screw hole or you could short circuit your mobo. That would qualify as a bad thing.
 
BillR said:
Above all else make sure that any “Stand-offs” sticking up from your case match existing screw holes in your motherboard. If you have some that don’t match holes either move them to where they do or remove them altogether. You don’t want anything sticking up from the case that doesn’t match a screw hole or you could short circuit your mobo. That would qualify as a bad thing.


Lol I didn't understand that sorry..

Yeah well can I get those case covers at a local store? I kind of can't get them online.. My parents are in a bad fight..
 
the mobo tray has extra holes to accomidate different boards the mobo manufacturers have some options when laying out a board
if those standoffs you mentioned are in the wrong holes and you fail to notice it
it will short the board
 
If you have a brass or metal post sticking up from your case and it doesn't match a screwhole in your motherboard that is a bad thing. Remove it or move it to where it does match a screw hole.
 
I think the motherboard is in the right holes.. I mean I just put the motherboard so it is standing straight up and brought it to the highest hole and lowest hole and screwed them in .. then screwed some sides and some middle screws.. How can i mess that up? Wow I mean do you really have to be a genious to do this.. OR am i slightly retarded?

Anyways.. I need a fan/heatspreader for my CPU.. I can't use the cpu until i got those right?

I also want to know if I can get those case covers at a local store? Can I get a fan and case covers at Best Buy?
 
That wouldn't be recommended, unless you just want to destroy a CPU ala Tom's Hardware.
That is, one without thermal shutdown.
 
swirly said:
do you really have to be a genious to do this.. OR am i slightly retarded?

youd be suprised

mount a few more boards and youll get an idea of some of the problems that can occur
stuff not lining up quite perfect, little standoff just barely touching a trace (where an actual hole is and you have a screw in it but still shorting the board)

generally we all fire up the board before we mount em
my normal proceedure is to mount the CPU and Heatsink, attach the speaker and the PSU and fireup the board for some serious beepage

then I add the RAM, Videocard , mouse, keyboard and monitor and access the BIOS
if that goes OK I dismount the Videocard and mount the board to the tray add the videocard back in and try again for the BIOS
then start adding components
 
Tell me if I'm doing anything wrong from this.. I lined up my motherboard with the screwholes.. I screwed all the screws in(that were screwable). Then I added my video card, ram, and cpu. Right now nothing is on the cpu.. So I am prolly gonna take it out and add the heatsink/fan on it. Once I do that I will put it back. Then when my case is organzied with everything, I will add my psu, organize it.. Then by tomorrow night I'll be ready for my clan match in CS:S !!!!! =D!!!!!!!
 
well the speaker and beep codes is a very useful tool when your first integrating so add that
these days many boards have LED displays that will display POST codes
(Power On Self Test) also very useful in the event something isnt properly working
 
Yup, don't plug the computer in until you have the Heat Sink mounted. Always an important lesson.
 
Answer this>> Can I get those case cover brackets and the heatsink/fan at BestBuy?
 
Back
Top