cageymaru

Fully [H]
Google has rolled out a new service that promises to bring you all of the good news in the world. Tired of hearing about storms, accidents, political fights, wars, famine, police standoffs and other depressing news? You can tune all of that out without sticking your head in the sand with the new Google Assistant feature "Tell me something good." The Solutions Journalism Network curates news stories about problem solvers doing; well good in their community, and these are showcased in the new Google feature.

The stories come from a wide range of media outlets, curated and summarized by the Solutions Journalism Network. They're a nonpartisan nonprofit dedicated to spreading the practice of solutions journalism, which highlights how problems are solvable and that doing better is possible. Solutions journalism empowers and energizes audiences, helping to combat negative news fatigue. It's an important part of a balanced news diet, so we're exploring how to incorporate more solutions journalism wherever you access Google News.

Good news is subjective. I want to see man sex videos, but not everyone will. See my point?

Google, tell me some good news.
Google: I'll pay for your student loans.

Google: Battlefield V has 85% less preorders than Black Ops 3.

Me: Tell me something good.
Google: "We make all our profit on selling your information to anyone who'll pay for it making multiple sales off everyone and then charging those buyers again for ads that are designed based upon the profiles of you we sell to anyone who wants to buy it. It's a non stop money fountain!"
Me: ...
Google: "It's good for us".

Huh. And here I thought the premise of We Happy Few was fictional.

No, I'm down with the dark side. I want feel my hate flowing through me. Google, tell me what [my opposing political party] is doing that I dislike the most.

I don't watch news anymore. I skim it on the net to find the interesting articles I want to read.

I already know the left blames everyone but the person responsible, wants everyone else to pay their way, and think freedom is evil.

So knowing those facts, it's easy to find stuff I like to read because knowing those 3 facts allows me to filter out 99% of the news :)

this thread really highlights the "problem" with good news. People will quickly devolve anything positive to be bad... or bring in elements of negativity that have nothing to do with the topic on hand

why??

Good news makes people feel bad...

While bad news.. happening to others.. makes people feel good..

its a sad, but true, condition.

Google: You can support HardOCP with Patreon.

I stopped reading the news mostly, because it's all written as clickbaity or inflammatory, always leaving out key facts, slanted, agenda, etc. I skim headlines so I know what's being discussed, but I don't really trust any of it. Just so I'm aware of what other people believe.

Last edited:
That's not putting one's head in the sand.

I worked in a a secluded camp near Lake Superior for two summers. Less news, more time outdoors. No cable news.

A digital magazine for positive news and "solutions" isn't that strange. And not car crashes, etc. My dad has blatant nostalgia magazines about the 1950s and cars, but also stories about baking cookies with grandma and stuff like that. My mom used to get Reader's Digest and I think it was never negative.

Just look at Yahoo news, it's basically political and big media agenda/advertising mixed with astroturfing "lifestyle" product advertisement "articles". There's precious little just-the-facts news reporting.

Optimists are annoying, as are pessimists. The best thing to be is a realist and just see it as it is.

Back