Hey Dashpuppy..I got some more of these firewalls coming in!

YeOldeStonecat

[H]F Junkie
This pic is from a prior project (wide area network) I did a few months ago, got another order coming in soon for a package storage chain. :)

308303_1944401100627_1560506159_31632513_4074575_n.jpg

it was cool back then, but now. Id rather not over pay for products like those!

Price a build out for me with the same number of intel nics

Just raw hardware cost.
Now what 1/2 hour to 1 hour of build and installation. We are $100/hour I'm sure others are more. So is it really over priced?

I rather buy a usg 50 for 250 and e done

But I personally think untangle lost its steam. Doesn't interest me much

But I personally think untangle lost its steam. Doesn't interest me much

exactly my point, its good ( kinda ) for home use thats about it now..

I'm still liking the sonicwalls, with in a few months / year norton mcafee dlink all those guys will be building their own for much cheaper with AV subscriptions etc etc. You just wait...

How everything brian? Any other fun projects? You ever on aim these days?

How everything brian? Any other fun projects? You ever on aim these days?

Enjoying summer! On the Harley or cruising around in my new RAM 1500 HEMI 390hp is a lot of fun!

Getting very busy again too...steady new clients coming on board. Never on any IM these days...closed FB account.

They only 2 years old..tz210 model. I'll put them in the street, run over 'em with the truck..and send you the flattened parts. :D

sure :) works for me LOL! ill take them if you don't want them :)

BTW since i just sold / built 4 untangle boxes for family members and friends, what's your thoughts on ups ? I know the untangle boxes DO NOT like being just shut off so what do you do for your clients and others..

Do they all run ups's ?

Or do you have other suggestions ?

So Dash... what is it? SonicWalls were shit= junk. Then you became the Untangle Poster Boy- the world revoldved around UT.... now SW is great? Are you BiPolar??

well it's true. LOL! Maybe their high end stuff is ok, but those tz's are garbage.!
Yup,

Hated it, couldent get the filters to work, the virus catcher to work. Installed Untangle and it worked 15 min later including install, and that was my first time using the Untangle.

I found it easy to navigate and work with untangle, Astaro a bit harder, but once i found out where things were and how it worked, i found it easy to setup & start using.

Sonicwall, well FUCK ME, things are all over the place with that software, it's not layed out logically at all.

No not a complaint, the units just suck ass!

i call it mark up LOL! PROFIT UP THE BUM!

So Dash... what is it? SonicWalls were shit= junk. Then you became the Untangle Poster Boy- the world revoldved around UT.... now SW is great? Are you BiPolar??

Thing's I like / hate about the two....

Untangle ( software / os ) is :

Good at virus catching
Good at ad filtering
Good at spyware / mal-ware blocking ( slowing it down )

NOT good at ssl vpn, needs client only for windows / linux ( pita to get working on linux ) No iphone / andriod support

NOT good at auto recovery if power goes out, if done a few times well better get that os install disc out.

SonicWall :

Good at ssl vpn all os's Andrio ios apple mac linux etc etc
Good at content filtering
Good at vlan support
Good at configuration ( O.S 5.5 & ^ )

NOT good at spyware / malware detecting.
NOT good on the wallet ( i get mine free so me don't care )

I haven't tried the new TZ line, supposedly they are suppose to be faster and can do better routing through vlan's and other things.

Not sure what dell is going to do with them, but I do get update emails all the time stating they are working on new programs & software & hardware.

Didn't I tell you this a long ass time ago when you where ranting and raving about them?

Yeah, hence why i won't buy one, i could go into more detail but Not on here...

Yeah, hence why i won't buy one, i could go into more detail but Not on here...

Then how about at my place tonight mr. smexy?
I think we could Untangle some of that stress you've been having... since I can't wait to show you my SonicWall.

:D

zomg I hope my gf doesn't see this, she might want to join the party! :eek:

I think we could Untangle some of that stress you've been having... since I can't wait to show you my SonicWall.

She can hold the camera ? Hope she doesn't shake! :eek::eek:

Haha, your gf has seen it. Where and when is this party happening? :D

Haha, your gf has seen it. Where and when is this party happening? :D

At dash's place, he has all of the right hardware to push your processors to their limits :p

DSCN3164.JPG

Why yes it can...

...with dashpuppy's secret love...
DSCN3170.JPG

...in a three-way with two monitors! Never knew he had a thing for twins. ;)
photo%2520%25281%2529.JPG

my slots are full, perhaps we can use her slot instead ? If that is ok with you tho ?

I'm bringing MY hard drive to the party too!

seagate3.jpg

I think she can handle it, she's used to mine //
old-hard-drive.jpg

All 160MB of pure win. :cool:

But poor YeOldeStonecat, he's feeling a bit left out. It's ok, he can still bring his hard drive to the party:
external-laptop-harddrive-2.jpg

I think we'll have more than enough room to squeeze him in!

Last edited:
So long as I can use a raid array it's all good i suppose. :D

baby, you can RAID my array any time you want; I especially like double parity, if you get that last bit. ;)
Check it out, four drives, one slot:
Apricorn-MacArray-inline1.jpg

...now I'm done.

baby, you can RAID my array any time you want; I especially like double parity, if you get that last bit. ;)
Check it out, four drives, one slot:

...now I'm done.

that raid array costs ALOT more than the slot you are trying to use :)

LMAO!

:eek:;);)

i shall RAID your array soon then. and baby, i think i get more than just that last bit. ;)

ok, now i'm done taking this thread off-topic. hopefully. that's the price paid when one get's one's girlfriend involved i suppose. :rolleyes:

Thing's I like / hate about the two....

Untangle ( software / os ) is :

Good at virus catching
Good at ad filtering
Good at spyware / mal-ware blocking ( slowing it down )

NOT good at ssl vpn, needs client only for windows / linux ( pita to get working on linux ) No iphone / andriod support

NOT good at auto recovery if power goes out, if done a few times well better get that os install disc out.

SonicWall :

Good at ssl vpn all os's Andrio ios apple mac linux etc etc
Good at content filtering
Good at vlan support
Good at configuration ( O.S 5.5 & ^ )

NOT good at spyware / malware detecting.
NOT good on the wallet ( i get mine free so me don't care )

I find Untangles content filtering good.
I've never had a need for the edge appliance to support VLANs...I get that done at the managed switch, or if I need to break up the network into different rules for different groups...Untangle has the Policy Manager..combined with multiple racks.

It would be nice if Untangle got a good browser based SSL VPN service...but to be honest....if I have a need for VPN at larger clients....I get a dedicated VPN box like a Juniper SA appliance to sit behind the firewall.

Antivirus/AntiSpyware is my most important reason of having a UTM at the edge. So good performance is important here.

I find Untangles content filtering good.
I've never had a need for the edge appliance to support VLANs...I get that done at the managed switch, or if I need to break up the network into different rules for different groups...Untangle has the Policy Manager..combined with multiple racks.

It would be nice if Untangle got a good browser based SSL VPN service...but to be honest....if I have a need for VPN at larger clients....I get a dedicated VPN box like a Juniper SA appliance to sit behind the firewall.

Antivirus/AntiSpyware is my most important reason of having a UTM at the edge. So good performance is important here.

You didn't answer my question about power tho ??

Edit,

I wish sonicwall had a ad block feature like Untangle does. GRR stupid ad's on Youtubez..

Last edited:
Back