Hexagonal circles on bfbc2 nvidia?

ellover009

[H]ard|Gawd
I don't know if it's only me but I didn't noticed that most circle shapes in the game look more hexagonal than circle but my friend pointed this out after his 4870x2 malfunctioned and his brother gave him a gtx 470. Hes running windows 7 64bit and I am now curious if it's the game optimized for ati cards thats preventing it from doing more proper circles or if it's the actual hardware/software combination. I wish I had a new gen of both cards to test them both. But is there anyone with a DX11 amd and nvidia card that can compare them?

No it's on his new card the Nvidia GTX 470, looks fine on the 4870x2, unfortunately his 4870x2 is being rma and I can't check anything since I don't own any ati video cards.

No it's on his new card the Nvidia GTX 470, looks fine on the 4870x2, unfortunately his 4870x2 is being rma and I can't check anything since I don't own any ati video cards.

That has to be a bug of some kind. Is he maxing out the graphics options? That game looks like crap when the graphical options are low which could explain the odd shapes. I haven't heard of this problem before with BCBF2 at all so its gotta be on his end.

can anyone that can max out the game post a picture of the front of a tank? I would love to see a ati 5xxx image on dx11 and someone else from a nvidia 4xx.

1920x1200 8xaa hbao on, everything at max on my 5770
bfbc2game20100928222526.jpg

Thanks for the pict man, any chances you can get one a lot closer to the barrel or the lights on it?

GPUs cannot render circles and tubes. They render flat triangle surfaces to make something that looks close to a round object. Examine anything enough and you will see the flat spots.

GPUs cannot render circles and tubes. They render flat triangle surfaces to make something that looks close to a round object. Examine anything enough and you will see the flat spots.

In theory though, through the magiccc of tessolation, we might be able to make that hexagon look more circlish by adding in a bunch more 'triangles' in its approximation.

Ok got my friend to take some images, he has a Gtx 465 unlocked to 470. 1920 x 1080 , all quality high, 8x aa , 16x af , vsync off , hbao on

bfbc2game20100928232234.jpg

bfbc2game20100928232253.jpg

bfbc2game20100928232331.jpg

bfbc2game20100928232339.jpg

bfbc2game20100928232351.jpg

bfbc2game20100928232400.jpg

bfbc2game20100928232706.jpg

bfbc2game20100928232715.jpg

Last edited:

+1 As long as triangle rendering is the backbone of 3d graphics the only way to fix it is to add more polygons. For performance reasons the devs don't like to waste them on things that players aren't supposed to stare at most of the time. Thankfully tesselation has finally gotten the limelight with dx11, so now fixing it is relatively simple (with low performance hit) if they want to add the feature to the game.

If the game supported tessellation then maybe the games hexacircles would look more like proper circles. Unfortunately it might be one or two generations before graphic cards have the horse power to run tessellation at a decent frame rate with less frame penalty for turning it on.
This reminds me when they first started pushing hard with HDR, first nv card they were really pushing it with was the 6xxx series and until the 8xxx series there was a high frame penalty for turning it on.
so far if I remember the graphic trend over the years have been hdr, soft shadows and currently tessellations.

Here are more picts of barrel close ups.
Gtx 465 unlocked to 470. 1920 x 1080 , all quality high, 8x aa , 16x af , vsync off , hbao on

bfbc2game20100929000400.jpg

bfbc2game20100929000405.jpg

bfbc2game20100929000441.jpg

bfbc2game20100929000507.jpg

bfbc2game20100929000523.jpg

Last edited:
From the closeup, both barrels are 16 sided polygons.
In other words, it is all in his mind :-P

Oh I thought someone was saying that there was a difference between the complexity, that can happen if the developers have made several different models, all of varying complexity and you're seeing a lower quality one.

Often lower quality models are swapped out at long distances where you cannot appreciate the fine detail, or if you force low quality models in graphics options this can occur quite close the player to help increase performance.

But basically current 3d Rendering methods build everything out of vertices (points in space) and link them points with edges (lines) and then join 3 together to make a basic triangle with a face. To make things with smooth surfaces you need to just keep adding more and more smaller triangles to mimic a smooth edge.

DirectX11 allows a new method of dynamically adding or removing triangles during rendering called Tessellation which can work out the curve of the object and add more triangles in to make it appear smoother, which would work a treat on the gun barrel of this tank. Current tessellation performance allows basic tessellation in some games, we'll see more of this as the available power on the GPU increases and games start to adopt it.

If it was a tessellation thing, well the 400's have a notorious higher performance with the technique even under extreme scenarios.
In that case the closeup should actually be the higher definition model than the far away one, polygon wise.

So in the end, it is all psychosomatic.

Thanks a lot for all your help guys, main reason I wanted to do this was to make sure that my friends mind wasn't playing tricks on him. You can always listen to someone or look deeper into it.
I had some concerns since I am in the market for a new video card and always used an nvidia card, but I am a little bit open to selection this time.

I noticed over the years IQ has become about equal regardless which brand you get, but that a lot of websites don't do an in depth iq analysis like back in the day.

Back