Hex core or 2600k

newbs

Gawd
So I am upgrading one of my folding boxes which means I will need a new CPU for my gaming machine. I am trying to choose between a hex core 1366 in the 3.6ghz range or getting a 2600k and overclocking it. Now which will give a higher ppd and be able to drive my 3 Gtx 470's for gaming at 4800x1200. Thanks

You'll see more PPD from the Hex, but you'll get more FPS from the 2600K. Pick your poison.

Also lower power draw on the 2600k....

But with 3x gtx470s.... I'm not sure you will notice.

Go with the 2600K. I wouldn't touch LGA1366 at this point. But if you were to do so you'd really need a healthier overclock than that to match the performance of the 2600K. You need to go north of 4.4GHz for it to be worth while.

My vote would be the 2600K.
It has a good UPG path and overclocks like crazy.

If it was a dedicated folder i'd pick the 1366 hex every time for the bigbeta stuff. but since this is a gaming rig, the 2600k is probably the better choice.

Well right now I have a l5639 at 3.6ghz driving my machine so I would replace it with whatever hex I can scrounge. But I'm worried if I do a 2600k it can't drive the tri sli, I had a 4ghz 920 which could not drive the tri sli at all a hex core at 3ghz worked so much better.

You might be in a area (with the tri sli) that we just don't tread that often.

I shudder to say this..... but you may need to ask in the Vidcard section.

:eek:

A 2600K can drive tri-sli just fine. The only thing is you'll have to find a board with enough PCI-e lanes so you can go at least 8x,8x,8x.

Here's a good board to do what you want with a 2600K:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131700

Get that board and OC the cpu to 4.6 or so and you'll have a screaming rig that no 1366 can touch.

This board will do the trick also:
http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=160-SB-E689-K2&family=Motherboard Family&series=Intel Z68 Series Family&sw=5

Last edited:
The power draw is not that bad even when it's folding(almost always)with all three monitors on it almost hits 900watts. The machine is on 24/7 folding and if I'm lucky maybe 3 hours of gaming a week. The hex core would be the cheapest route since for sandy i would have to get a new tri sli board. Inwas going to get a amd 8150 but they were out of stock and don't appear to be that great.

I shudder to say this..... but you may need to ask in the Vidcard section.

:eek:

Oh yes, I'm sure the eloquent and polite guys over there will be able to give you some clear advice. Of course it will either be "ZOMG NEITHER GET BD AND 3 6970's U NVIDIOT" or "LOL GO QUAD SLI ON SR-2" but clear advice nonetheless. :p

I kid, I kid.:D

If it will be cheaper the 1366 gets more ppd anyway and you know your mobo will do what you want gaming wise so stick with that.

Im hoping sandy-e will drop the price of current hexes to replace my 920

Back