Heres The Deal..

1 room in your house is larger then what 80% of us have for an entire home. $5k would buy you the speakers... or the amps... or the projection system... but not all three.

Yeah I've seen the theatres over at AVS that people built in their houses. Most are rooms less than half this size and it still ran them $20k+.

1 room in your house is larger then what 80% of us have for an entire home. $5k would buy you the speakers... or the amps... or the projection system... but not all three.

Well, I think you could get a projector, 2 large speakers (PA, not HT) + amp, and HTPC for around $5-7K. It wouldn't be the best, but it would work for filling a large room. It completely depends on his goals.

Step up to higher-end gear and 5.1 or 7.1 though, and you're absolutely right!

to add some sanity to this thread...

go and hire a CE to do the work.

what is your zip and we can recommend a CE to come and design a theater and do the build... it will be more than 7K.... but really my 2,000 sqt home I have put more than 10k into my WHS, HTPC (x4) projector, Screen, AVR, Speakers, IR/RF remotes, cabling....

and I did all the work MYSELF!

I'm curious what the heck could have been recommended on a room that large with a relatively small budget.

Back