Heres The Deal..

DualOwn

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok I really Want a HTPC.. Just dont know what to get.. My Budget is 5-6k. Can someone list a complete l33t system i can get for that Budget.. Thanks.

Wow, 5-6k? That's a freaking lot of money.

You can build a very good HTPC for 700 or less. Unless you're also asking us about televisions too?

Wow, 5-6k? That's a freaking lot of money.

You can build a very good HTPC for 700 or less. Unless you're also asking us about televisions too?

Everyyythingggggg.. lol :D I want a Complete awsome HTPC setup.

What do you want to do with it? Record HD from sat or cable or OTA? Rip Blu-rays? Play them back directly from disc?

We need to know what you want this thing to do before we can help you.

for that kind of cash, u could hire me and ill build, install and setup everything.

The computer is cake for the price, but when you start throwing in the sound system and a TV then you can eat that up pretty quick. I assume you want all the bells and whistles? Like Dolby True HD and such? How big of a screen do you want and how big is the room this will all go in.

yeah, let us know some more specifics, tv size and such. tv and computer are the easy parts. the remainder of your budget will easily fall into the audio category...

Yeah you can do a lot... i mean seriously..

HTPC: $750 and you'l have a killer system with a tuner card
42" 1080p TV: $900
7.1 HTiB from Onkyo... maybe $500

Soo right there your way under budget and you have everything you need. That HTPC has a built in cable card tuner and blu-ray player/etc...

So you really need to be more specific as to what you want as far as tv size goes/etc...

I want a Big size TV. from 60-100 inch and The Best Audio Out there..

What do you want to do with it? Record HD from sat or cable or OTA? Rip Blu-rays? Play them back directly from disc?

Can we do all of them?

LOL, 100". One of those is about $15,000. A good 60" will average $2,000. The go up exponentially from there. It sounds like you want more than $7,000 can provide.

Why not get a Projector and a 100-120" screen.

$700 on a HTPC with Blu-Ray and Cable Card tuner....

btw do some research on your own... we are not here to build you a complete home theater.... how do we know you are even real?

do some reading at AVSforum on TV and AVRs and Speakers.... come back or post there with a some options and ask for opinions....

LIKE EVERYONE ELSE DOES.

Pretty sure this is a troll... 4 days registered and saying stuff like BEST AUDIO OUT THERE, I WANT IT TO DO EVERYTHING... etc.

Everyone can stop wasting their time...

LOL, 100". One of those is about $15,000. A good 60" will average $2,000. The go up exponentially from there. It sounds like you want more than $7,000 can provide.

you can get an 82" DLP for $3k w/FS from Newegg right now

I think blazestorm is probably right though...:eek:

Well, yeah, it's a projection TV. There's a reason it's cheap.

its a 120hz 83" 1080p TV
I don't care if it runs on gnome power, its a nice display for the price (I've seen the 70" Sony LCD, I would not pay $5000 for that, let alone the $20,000 they want, same goes for the 60" Pioneer Elite)

its a 120hz 83" 1080p TV
I don't care if it runs on gnome power, its a nice display for the price (I've seen the 70" Sony LCD, I would not pay $5000 for that, let alone the $20,000 they want, same goes for the 60" Pioneer Elite)

Ok, fine then. I'm just saying, there's a reason it's so cheap. I personally wouldn't buy into dying technology. Get an actual DLP projector. Projection TVs have never been that great.

Ok, fine then. I'm just saying, there's a reason it's so cheap. I personally wouldn't buy into dying technology. Get an actual DLP projector. Projection TVs have never been that great.

Sorry I wasn't trying to debate with you, I'm just saying, for its price its a nice display and thats more or less all it comes down to at the end of the day, spending $20k-$25k on a large LCD or Plasma, no way, you can get a tri-chip DLP or LCoS projector and top of the line 120-130" screen (see below though), and still have a few thousand left over for your receiver or whatever else

as far as "dying technology", so? (its not like we're making an investment, its a product, and everything suggested on these boards will be entirely "dead" or "obsolete" before the end of this decade)

FP systems have their own problems and issues, you have to be able to control light in the room, have a large enough room (or expensive enough optics) for a good throw distance, provide a decent screen, etc (none of these are negatives, but FP isn't a guaranteed "win" unless you're doing architectural stuff)

the DLP RPTV setup may not be the "best ever", but for the money its great, if you've got a five figure budget, architectural is more or less a given, but for something to put in your living room on a $4-$6k budget (as the OP claims to have), thats a different story

Pretty sure this is a troll... 4 days registered and saying stuff like BEST AUDIO OUT THERE, I WANT IT TO DO EVERYTHING... etc.

Everyone can stop wasting their time...

No im not a Troll, I came here for help.. and so far u are no help.. dont post here if u are gonna accuse me of being a troll.

if you have the room, a dlp tv would be MUCH better then a projector at the same size. 83" is enormous, nearly the size of my projetion system and quite frankly what i have is bigger then i need.

looking at that Onkyo system you ordered, you are already off to a bad start.

Be realistic, you cannot have the best of anything with that budget (maybe the best htpc...)

How big is the room going to be? Maybe post a drawing showing the layout.

How far back from the tv do you plan on sitting (this is pretty important)?

Do you already have any parts that could be used?

looking at that Onkyo system you ordered, you are already off to a bad start.

Be realistic, you cannot have the best of anything with that budget (maybe the best htpc...)

How big is the room going to be? Maybe post a drawing showing the layout.

How far back from the tv do you plan on sitting (this is pretty important)?

Do you already have any parts that could be used?

The Room is size is prob Half of a basketball court,I will Cancel the order on that Audio system..

My advice is just save your money. That new credit card you got or whatever is going to be better off staying in your pocket. episodes of The Office aren't going to be any better on a l33+ HTPC. Neither is The Hangover.

Sorry for some of the others getting a little out of hand, but your request is a little out of the ordinary...

What you need to do is split up your requests and place each part in a different forum dedicated to the these questions.

For your Projector/screen questions
http://www.bigscreenforums.com/

For your Reciever/Speaker questions
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/

For your HTPC questions
US!!

Just be more specific as to what you want to accomplish with your $7k budget. Use lots of details, and be preparred for some hard questions. BTW, there is a sticky at the top of the page giving a general list of questions that we'll need answered in order to give you solid information.

My advice is just save your money. That new credit card you got or whatever is going to be better off staying in your pocket. episodes of The Office aren't going to be any better on a l33+ HTPC. Neither is The Hangover.

its so true. its just like pc gaming... you only buy that ultra uber video card for the last couple years games. you also build entire htpc home theater systems for just a few action movies and rare tv seriers. everything else is fine on a 720p lcd tv, because most movies and tv actually isnt about the visual experience.

Sorry for some of the others getting a little out of hand, but your request is a little out of the ordinary...

Out of the ordinary? His original request is for an HTPC but turns into a complete home theater. Then it turns into an actual fucking movie theater that just happens to be inside of what is probably his parent's house. The budget is completely unreasonable for what the kid wants done; double it and you could probably afford to wall off a section of that room and fit in a decent home theater for 6-8 people.

Out of the ordinary? His original request is for an HTPC but turns into a complete home theater. Then it turns into an actual fucking movie theater that just happens to be inside of what is probably his parent's house. The budget is completely unreasonable for what the kid wants done; double it and you could probably afford to wall off a section of that room and fit in a decent home theater for 6-8 people.

Parent's House? No,More Like My House. KID?, 37, married, 2 kids.

What you need to do is split up your requests and place each part in a different forum dedicated to the these questions.

For your Projector/screen questions
http://www.bigscreenforums.com/

For your Reciever/Speaker questions
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/

For your HTPC questions
US!!

Just be more specific as to what you want to accomplish with your $7k budget. Use lots of details, and be preparred for some hard questions. BTW, there is a sticky at the top of the page giving a general list of questions that we'll need answered in order to give you solid information.

Thank you for the help omega, I will definitely check out those sites

Just be more specific as to what you want to accomplish with your $7k budget. Use lots of details, and be preparred for some hard questions. BTW, there is a sticky at the top of the page giving a general list of questions that we'll need answered in order to give you solid information

Yeah I want a HTPC to be able to play all dvd's and cd's..

Yeah I want a HTPC to be able to play all dvd's and cd's..

Ok, you're just being cryptic. You've been asked very specific questions, and all you can respond with is the above? WTF?

Seriously, you've got a room that's over 3300sq ft in your house, and you've only got $7K to spend? You have to understand why few are taking your request seriously.

If you want a real answer, answer the specific questions already asked. We can help you, but you've got to give us better answers.

Back