Here's an interesting way to cool your farm

erehwon6811

Limp Gawd
I saw this on slashdot and imediately thought of using it to cool a folding farm. One of the people on slashdot thought of the idea of using a heat exchanger instead of bringing pool water into the house.

That is freaking awesome! I want a pool now too!! I can only immagine the possibilities this can add to a large home computer network.

here is the thing....
-Chlorine Dangers
Chlorine is very very very very corrosiveness!!
-pressure.
how do you feed enough pc's without springing a leek?

lucky for me I have a salt water pool :p
and.. i bet i can find a way :p

here is the thing....
-Chlorine Dangers
Chlorine is very very very very corrosiveness!!
-pressure.
how do you feed enough pc's without springing a leek?

lucky for me I have a salt water pool :p
and.. i bet i can find a way :p

didnt he already resolve the corrosive danger?

I guess this is only for warm weather climates that never dip below freezing, if so, how many areas of the country would support this?

It's not a farm cooler honey, its the new pool heater. We need more boxen for the pool heater.

It's not a farm cooler honey, its the new pool heater. We need more boxen for the pool heater.
ROFL Now THAT is sig-worthy!

I wonder, out of curiosity, how much water a pump-in-a-bucket water cooling system would lose through evaporation on a consistent basis.

The best way to do this would be with a secondary loop. That way you can have clean water in the computer loop, pump it to a large radiator in a 50 gallon trash can, and pump pool water through that. That avoids the corrosion problem, and the pee-in-pool problem :p

Also, you could use antifreeze in the outer loop to keep it working even when the outside temperature is well below freezing. Wikipedia says 1:1 antifreeze/water will go down to -40 before it freezes.

didnt he already resolve the corrosive danger?

No he didn't. He resolved the galvanic corrosion problem which is caused by dissimilar metals. He did not solve any problems related to the corrosiveness, or overall dirtyness of the pool water.

This system will require A LOT more maintenance of the equipment then a regular watercooling loop. Pool water is far cry from the distilled water used in regular water cooling. I wouldn't be surprised if after a year the blocks are almost unusable.

The best way to do this would be with a secondary loop.
I was thinking that too. Maybe I can convince my dad that this would be an excellent way for him to heat his pool. I have to find out whether he heats it with electric or gas heat.

Back