Here's an interesting networking problem

Modder

Gawd
I live in a 3500 square ft house. We have Cox Internet and use their Netgear cable modem with built in Wifi. I have installed am access point using the main ssid on the second floor which consistently pulls 30 Mbps down and uploads right around 6-8 Mbps. The house was prewired with cat 5e and the AP is connected through that into the back of the cox router / modem.

Downstairs is a completely different story. The all in one PC in the kitchen connects via wifi and 90% of the time has low signal from the wireless but will connect.

Yesterday I bought a second router that is able to be configured as am access point like the one I have upstairs. I set it up, set the ssid to the one we use and now it won't even complete a speedtest. It gets stuck on the "connecting" part. Downloads are painfully slow. A 2mb file took 15 minutes. I installed a Netgear USB wireless n dongle and had the same results so that pretty much rules out the all in one pc's built in wifi going bad.

I'm going mad trying to fix this. At this point, moneynis no object. I just want the shit to work. What's going on here? What more info can I provide that will be helpful?

I'm case I forgot to mention, the cable modem is downstairs in the master bedroom closet.

Just curious as to why you bought a separate router instead of another access point? Not enough ports on the first router? I'm guessing you're using the installed ethernet to directly tap into the first router to the second router. I'm willing to guess it has something to do with your settings in the router not completely configured properly to be a repeater or perhaps being on the same channel.

What options are available in the router settings to accomplish extending the access point (pics)? I'd still recommend just returning it and getting a plain old AP which would probably be cheaper

You need to give more details on how you have the APs/Routers connected and setup.

What ports are they connected to each other with, what SSID and Channel are they set to, what IP are they using, do they have DHCP enabled, etc.

I knew I wasn't giving all the Info but wasn't sure what else you needed.

Okay, so the routers which are set as APs don't connect directly to each other. Let me start from scratch.

I have the cable modem with built in router and wifi. We will call that device 1

I have a d link DIR-615 router flashed to DD-WRT and set as an access point with dhcp and DNS turned off. We will call this device #2

I have an asus RT-N12b1 that came from the factory with 3 modes: wireless router, wireless bridge or access point.

Device number one is downstairs in the master bedroom closet.

Device number two is upstairs in a bedroom connected to device number one via cat 5e running through the walls.

Device number three is downstairs in a living room tucked inside a built in entertainment center and is also connected to device number one via In-wall cat5e.

On device number three I connected to it via Ethernet cable and logged into it to set it to AP mode. This automatically shuts off dhcp and dns and assigns the ssid of device 1 as well as assigns its own IP.

I have read into it more and it seems I need to log into device 1 and disable wireless. What doesn't make sense to me is this: what difference does that make? I need to still have good wifi in the master bedroom.

Make sure that device one and device three aren't on the same channel and are set to 20Hz mode for the 2.4Ghz channel. Verify that dhcp and dns really is turned off on device three. Also try device three with it being out in the open, the entertainment center or some of the other devices may be killing the signal.

Back