Here we go...W10 updates broken

M76

[H]F Junkie
And the inevitable happened. W10 update rolled over and died. It tries to install the 2017-8 cumulative update package, and fails each time.

It nags me every day that I must install it. When I click install now the progress bar goes to 100% in like one second and says everything is installed I'm up to date, joy and happiness. Then the next day it nags me again to install the same update. This has been going on for a week, and I suspect the creators update the culprit because it was just forced on me before this started happening.

So what gives?

it could be something you have running in the background like AV. you could also try clearing the update files with the old wuauserv method.

Try installing it manually from Microsoft's site. Failing that try going back to the previous version and seeing if it will install. Failing that either a system refresh or full format.

My wife's computer with w10 aniversary update struggled with failed updates for about a month before I caught wind of it. Linux went in, much faster, she's happy... (with the computer at least).

Tried clearing the download cache, it didn't help.
Now I downloaded the update manually and installed it, we'll see what happens now.
BTW WTF is a simple monthly security update 1GB in size?

That one is simple isn't it...
https://arstechnica.com/information...-a-monstrous-300gb-git-repository/?comments=1

300 gb of code... how many 10s of millions of lines is that. I have no doubt its pasta like enough to make the idea of patching small bits almost impossible.

If the issue involves a couple hundred lines of code... but they link to potentially 10x as many other lines. Its far easier just to swap out the entire thing.

Who knows though perhaps MS has a mission to detangle their code now that they have a proper version control system... ok I doubt it.

Tried clearing the download cache, it didn't help.
Now I downloaded the update manually and installed it, we'll see what happens now.
Microsoft has been using cumulative updates since 8 came out. This shouldn't be news. Hell, they've started using them on 7.

Man, I sure miss the service pack days, back when real engineers were running the show, not fratboy marketing majors and a selfie obsessed millennial chick that washed in on the equal opportunity boat.

These kinds of chronic borked updates didn't really start happening until Windows 10; things used to actually got tested prior to release by a real QA team.

Man, I sure miss the service pack days, back when real engineers were running the show, not fratboy marketing majors and a selfie obsessed millennial chick that washed in on the equal opportunity boat.

These kinds of chronic borked updates didn't really start happening until Windows 10; things used to actually got tested prior to release by a real QA team.
Well, they did disband their QA team, and basically pushed all QA testing to the insider program volunteers.

Microsoft has been using cumulative updates since 8 came out. This shouldn't be news. Hell, they've started using them on 7.
I thought cumulative meant that all updates are dependent on the previous ones, not that every goddamn minor security update will contain every previous update. What in 5 years a 200k security patch will be 200GB?

I thought cumulative meant that all updates are dependent on the previous ones, not that every goddamn minor security update will contain every previous update. What in 5 years a 200k security patch will be 200GB?

Sounds like the system was never updated (or if had been a very long time) so it rolled up the needed updates.

You can try these suggestions. Usually this happens when either the update isn't cleared out of the updates install directory, or when the Windows update history is too full and needs to be cleared.

Dude, things happen, deal with it and move on. (Of course, this thread was just started as a grumble fest anyways.) You did not even tell us what the event viewer is showing. Oh, and Windows XP, Vista, 7 and 8 / 8.1 all had their issues as well, things just happen. (Yes, even in Linux.)

Dude, things happen, deal with it and move on. (Of course, this thread was just started as a grumble fest anyways.) You did not even tell us what the event viewer is showing. Oh, and Windows XP, Vista, 7 and 8 / 8.1 all had their issues as well, things just happen. (Yes, even in Linux.)

So let me get this straight.

If a Linux user was to reply like that it would be said that Linux users are the most notoriously unhelpful bunch around and totally biased.

....Yet when an obvious Windows fanboi does it, it's just stating the obvious truth?

So let me get this straight.

If a Linux user was to reply like that it would be said that Linux users are the most notoriously unhelpful bunch around and totally biased.

....Yet when an obvious Windows fanboi does it, it's just stating the obvious truth?

PCs can be extremely complex devices. I'm perfectly willing to secede your knowledge of PCs to mine. But you also have little knowledge of what I do with my PCs from my perspective. You constantly promote the power and simplicity of Linux and there’s just not of that for my needs.

I thoroughly understand my needs and wants from PCs are well beyond average but I also understand that desktop Linux isn’t computing platform that considers simplicity in a world of complexity. That’s fine, making the complex simple is a difficult task.

Stuff happens, Windows isn’t perfect, neither is Linux and it’s only a matter of which types of problems a user wants to deal with.

PCs can be extremely complex devices. I'm perfectly willing to secede your knowledge of PCs to mine. But you also have little knowledge of what I do with my PCs from my perspective. You constantly promote the power and simplicity of Linux and there’s just not of that for my needs.

I thoroughly understand my needs and wants from PCs are well beyond average but I also understand that desktop Linux isn’t computing platform that considers simplicity in a world of complexity. That’s fine, making the complex simple is a difficult task.

Stuff happens, Windows isn’t perfect, neither is Linux and it’s only a matter of which types of problems a user wants to deal with.

Which in no way excuses the context your friend is using.

Fact is, if a Linux user used that context in the [H] forums he'd be crucified. But in a forum showing obvious Windows bias from the top down, such behaviour appears to be acceptable from the perspective of a Windows user.

Last edited:
Reactions: naib
like this
Which in no way excuses the context your friend is using.

Fact is, if a Linux user used that context in the [H] forums he'd be crucified. But in a forum showing obvious Windows bias from the top down, such behaviour appears to be acceptable from the perspective of a Windows user.

Folks like you see Linux as a "morally superior" desktop OS. Whatever the hell that means. It's extremely difficult in the desktop Linux community to mention problems and issues without becoming the villain when all one was seeking was help.

Folks like you see Linux as a "morally superior" desktop OS. Whatever the hell that means. It's extremely difficult in the desktop Linux community to mention problems and issues without becoming the villain when all one was seeking was help.

I never mentioned anything about an OS being morally superior, I'm not even directly reacting to the operating system. I reacting to the attitude, the double standard regarding Windows users and Linux users.

The next time a Windows user tries to claim Linux users are unhelpful and arrogant, this example is going to be brought up.

With your attitude I'm surprised you don't get lynch parties at your local village square.

Basic logic 101, it is not an us vs them, it is a use what works, and yes, Windows works. When problems occur, we fix them, simple as that, nothing more, nothing less.

I find it to be both normal and acceptable for a human to become frustrated and express said frustration over something not simply working out-of-the-box...

The over-rationalized "Well if there's a problem we just fix it" in an attempt to lessen the invariable reality of the human condition is just like.... puddle on the sidewalk.

Basic logic 101, it is not an us vs them, it is a use what works, and yes, Windows works. When problems occur, we fix them, simple as that, nothing more, nothing less.

Exactly. Anything as complex as Windows or Linux is going to have its share of problems, strengths and weaknesses.

Sounds like the update cache might be corrupted. I've had issues with the updater on Insider Builds where this has resolved the problem:

From an admin elevated command prompt run this:

taskkill /im TiWorker.exe /f
net stop wuauserv /y
rmdir "%systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution\Download" /s /q
del "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr0.dat"
del "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr1.dat"
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
cleanmgr /sageset:65535 & cleanmgr /sagerun:65535

I've found that I only needed to run the first two commands from above, reboot and restart the update process.

For now on when either of you post in a Linux thread this is going to be my stock response;
"Basic logic 101, it is not an us vs them, it is a use what works, and yes, Linux works. When problems occur, we fix them, simple as that, nothing more, nothing less."

Sounds like the update cache might be corrupted. I've had issues with the updater on Insider Builds where this has resolved the problem:

From an admin elevated command prompt run this:

taskkill /im TiWorker.exe /f
net stop wuauserv /y
rmdir "%systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution\Download" /s /q
del "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr0.dat"
del "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr1.dat"
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
cleanmgr /sageset:65535 & cleanmgr /sagerun:65535

I've found that I only needed to run the first two commands from above, reboot and restart the update process.

Not to nitpick as I imagine your advice would work from what I understand.

However... if you are saying only the first 2 commands are required then reboot. I think you can shave it down the the first command. As the second command would mean nothing after you reboot anyway. As I understand MS commands net stop is going to stop said service, but a reboot would simply start it again anyway. :) It looks like the rest of the commands you found are simply a method to clean possible orphaned update files from the harddrive. Although if the main issue here is a bad download I would say that third command may work the best, just delete the downloaded updates the machine keeps trying to reuse.

yes that the wuauserv method i mentioned in post 2. it shuts down the update service and deletes the update temp files and logs. it has worked every time ive had to use it in the past but typically i only do the first 3.

Back