Here comes DirectX 11

Wtf man no wonder the PC gaming industry sucks. Windows 7, Direct X 11, Service packs, ect.

Do we even have a GPU that can fully handle DX10 yet? Last I saw, Crysis was the only game to make truely extensive use of DX10, and the top cards are still getting pushed around by that game at high resolution and aa enabled. The 8 series and 2xxx/3xxx series were obviously not ready for DX10, so I'd say skip the first gen DX11 cards.

remember when 8800's were the first to release dx10 support? All benchmarks were in dx9 and when dx10 came around it kinda suffered... I'll wait until there ARE dx11 games before I buy a dx11 card...
The only reason I bought an 8800 was for the kick ass DX9 performance. The only reason to buy a DX11 card at release will be for the DX10 performance.

Just everything is coming out so fast that drivers and patches can barley catch up.

Its always been a problem for the PC.. the API's like DirectX actually made things much easier for Developers. Without the easy HAL of moderns OS's, Most games wouldnt be possible due to the Budget requirements of supporting so many different types of hardware.

Most developers support a broad range of technical specifications and are fairly good at predicting the market. Most games Support DX9 and DX10 for advanced Features and have a range of IQ settings for a wide array of hardware.

consols will always be easier to develop for due to standard OS/hardware.. But PCs have so much compatability capability, it is still a very viable and lucrative platform for the "elite".

Do we even have a GPU that can fully handle DX10 yet? Last I saw, Crysis was the only game to make truely extensive use of DX10, and the top cards are still getting pushed around by that game at high resolution and aa enabled. The 8 series and 2xxx/3xxx series were obviously not ready for DX10, so I'd say skip the first gen DX11 cards.

Un-related.

DirectX is a Feature Spec, not a performance Spec. We have had Fully DirectX10 compliant hardware for several years.

Crysis runs slow due to the extreme polygon and particle count, independant of DX version or features.

Just everything is coming out so fast that drivers and patches can barley catch up.

Has happend since DX7 really, the reason we saw a gap between 9.0C and DX10/10.1 is due to the complete rewrite which was due, now the cycle starts all over again and we might have another chance at a kick ass title on the latest shader model.

The stagnant of DX10 was too long, now with the process back in place we should actually see the start of the process of games advancing again.

What's with the people complaining that they're releasing a new dx already? Do you get pissed off when intel releases a faster processor too? Too bad we can't all be using windows 98 still. Why can't computers be more stagnant? Fuck upgrades.

I guess that DX11 shouldn't be released yet until DX10 matures more, look at DX9, almost 6 years in the market, and 3 years later after it's debut, the DX9 games looked much better and ran faster, but what happened with the DX10 and it's hype? Will it be phased out in less than 4 years? For what? That will simply will dry our pockets for videocards and Windows upgrades!!

I was thinking that i bet this is why NVIDIA isnt paying alot of attention to dx10.1 because it knows that 11 isnt that far off......seems they might have inside information.

No, its more like Nvidia isn't adding DX10.1 support because they are trying to control the market. They are trying to hurt ATI. This is what a thug does, trying to control the market. Just like when they made that one game company remove DX10.1 support.

Unfortunately for Nvidia, ATI is doing much better than they ever expected.

Nvidia has absolutely zero excuse for not adding DX10.1 support. And they have lost me as a customer due to their business practices. And I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I guess that DX11 shouldn't be released yet until DX10 matures more, look at DX9, almost 6 years in the market, and 3 years later after it's debut, the DX9 games looked much better and ran faster, but what happened with the DX10 and it's hype? Will it be phased out in less than 4 years? For what? That will simply will dry our pockets for videocards and Windows upgrades!!

Yes, lets stop all innovation and just use what we have for a while :rolleyes:

I'm with the real [H]ers here who welcome technology advancement and not stagnation. Some of you occasionally need to be reminded what forums you're on. I say turn it up to 11! :D

i hope opengl 3.0 does well i really dont like using xp or vista its such a stubborn operating system every 2 minutes I WANT MY UPDATE AND I WANT IT NOW!!! and then whatever virus protection your friend is using not only does it not work but also causes lag every few minutes when it says update or continue what i was doing

anyway i heard opengl 3.0 in august hope it is released then and hope its good otherwise i may have to deal with windows or stick to warcraft 3

I'm with the real [H]ers here who welcome technology advancement and not stagnation. Some of you occasionally need to be reminded what forums you're on. I say turn it up to 11! :D

QFT!

DX10 games of today supports DX9. DX11 games would probably support DX10 and DX10.1 I think too. (Nvidia is coming with DX10.1 cards in Q1 2009 according to tgdaily).

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/38247/135/

They claim to have seen real slides of this.

Most of the DX11 features advertised so far is most likely supported in DX10.1 (but not in DX10) and its said that DX11 is build upon DX10.

Game developers always want to sell to most people, so I think that the games will come in DX10 and DX10.1 the next year or so, and then they might start supporting DX11 at a later stage. The announcement of DX11 is a preview of it, not a release and rumors says that it might not even be available in windows 7 at start:
http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/02/06/ms-cuts-windows-features

This makes me glad I never bought Vista for dx10, as thats the only reason I ever would have bought it.

Even out of those DX10 games, in most of them DX10 doesn't offer anything all that special. The Dx10 features in Crysis can be easily enabled under DX9 too. The only thing I've ever heard from DX10 users is that it has worse performance for a barely perceptable increase in image quality (simply because the game devs decided to include some exlusive features in DX10 which DX9 was fully capable of doing anyway).

I wonder if DX11 will be Windows 7 only (the successor to Vista)? I'm guessing that it will be supported by Vista since penetration in the Vista OS market is still low. Perhaps Microsoft thinks that they may get more people to switch to from XP to Vista if they are two full releases of DX behind 'current technology'?

I wish Microsoft would dedicate some real resources to DX10 gaming (and DX11 gaming) - developing (arguably) killer Microsoft developed games, just like they did with Xbox and Xbox 360 releases. Without the showcase titles, you're left relying on 3rd party developers to eventually come to your aid as and when it suits them.

I wonder if DX11 will be Windows 7 only (the successor to Vista)? I'm guessing that it will be supported by Vista since penetration in the Vista OS market is still low. Perhaps Microsoft thinks that they may get more people to switch to from XP to Vista if they are two full releases of DX behind 'current technology'?

I wish Microsoft would dedicate some real resources to DX10 gaming (and DX11 gaming) - developing (arguably) killer Microsoft developed games, just like they did with Xbox and Xbox 360 releases. Without the showcase titles, you're left relying on 3rd party developers to eventually come to your aid as and when it suits them.

they tried that aproach with "games for windows"

and that was EPIC FAIL

There's still tons of time, just remember large corporations need to make this type of announcement to show their investors that they're working on something. Directx10 was released and how many games did we see so far that made use of it? Hardly a dozen.

The mainstream still has not caught up with enthusiasts. Keep in mind not everyone can afford a system to run Crysis at Very High details on DX10 render and those who can are just a drop in the bucket. By the time we play a DX11 game will be in 3 years and your video cards bought today would have depreciated to the price of a box of pizza.

I don't even know why Microsoft is working on a new DirectX already. I think its stupid to say the least. There are barely any games with fully DX10 and a handful at best that support some DX10 features. But I guess when you see that Microsoft has gone from Window games to Xbox games it makes the picture more clear. My guess is that OpenGL will gain more and more support due to lack of attention on Microsoft part when it comes to games for Windows.

No, its more like Nvidia isn't adding DX10.1 support because they are trying to control the market. They are trying to hurt ATI. This is what a thug does, trying to control the market. Just like when they made that one game company remove DX10.1 support.

Unfortunately for Nvidia, ATI is doing much better than they ever expected.

Nvidia has absolutely zero excuse for not adding DX10.1 support. And they have lost me as a customer due to their business practices. And I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Oh no the big bad nVidia is beating up on AMD what ever shall we do! Sarcasm aside, every single business out there that wants to make money is and will do unethical things from time to time. I actually bet nVidia has not produce a DX10.1 card yet is because of the lack of current games that are even fully DX10. Why should nVida waste money on a new version of DX when most games don't really use DX10?

Without a graphics/physics API, we'd be back to the DOS days where developers would have to provide support for as many hardware variations as possible. Seems to me that that game dev is a moron without knowing the dire implications if such were to happen.

Lmao, that was Cliffy B from Epic Games. Unreal engine 4 will be interesting to see if it doesn't use any API.

EDIT: Opps, it was actually Tim Sweeney. You can read the interview at http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/36410/118/

"realistically, I think that DirectX 10 is the last DirectX graphics API that is truly relevant to developers. In the future, developers will tend to write their own renderers that will use both the CPU and the GPU - using graphics processor programming language rather than DirectX."

Well, that will be an intresting change to Unreal Engine 4

I was thinking that i bet this is why NVIDIA isnt paying alot of attention to dx10.1 because it knows that 11 isnt that far off......seems they might have inside information.

Ofcourse they have inside information.
Microsoft doesn't dream up the specs for a new Direct3D version all by themselves.
There's a special board that draws up the specs, and that board includes companies like ATi and nVidia, and also various game developers and such.
Mind you, the DX11 specs will be drawn out long before the first hardware surfaces.

Rumor says nvidia will skip DX10.1 and go straight to DX11. Which makes sense since few games will support DX10.1

Too bad there is no physics, nor ray tracing support.

Yes, however, DX11 implies that you also support DX10.1, because DX has to be fully backward compatible by definition.
nVidia also skipped PS1.4 back in the day, but all nVidia cards since the FX series support it.

As for physics/raytracing, those won't have explicit support. They will simply be possible to implement within the functionality/programmability of the shader model.
That's probably what Tim Sweeney was hinting at... in the future you will be able to program your own functionality more and more, and rely less on 'pre-baked' functionality.
We've already come a long way with the advent of shaders, where you implement your own T&L and pixelshading routines rather than using whatever pre-baked lighting and texturing your hardware/API supports.

Thats because much of the DX10 games are DX9 games with some DX10 features. Few games (if any) are optimized for DX10. The difference is larger though from DX9 to DX10.1. DX10.1 is what DX10 SHOULD have been. Its faster and better looking.

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1032711323&postcount=18

nVidia supports these features through an extension of DX10, so you don't REALLY need DX10.1 for it.
Aside from that, the image in that post was made by Henrik Wann Jensen in 2000, using his photonmapping raytracer, and has little, if anything, to do with DirectX 11.

I don't even know why Microsoft is working on a new DirectX already.

Because DX10 is finished. What else are they going to do, sit idle?
They start the next version as soon as the previous one is released.
It takes years to finalize the specs, implement the API, and have compatible hardware anyway.

As for OpenGL gaming... it's been dead for years, someone just forgot to tell John Carmack.

As for OpenGL gaming... it's been dead for years, someone just forgot to tell John Carmack.

And apparently Blizzard. I mean clearly OpenGL is dead, right? Never mind that one of the biggest (in terms of players) game ever (World of Warcraft) uses it :rolleyes:

And apparently Blizzard. I mean clearly OpenGL is dead, right? Never mind that one of the biggest (in terms of players) game ever (World of Warcraft) uses it :rolleyes:

OpenGL is more like Latin.. Its got is specialized uses and is still out there.. Long Live DirectX...

No, DX11 ain't coming that fast.

Before that, Here comes Denial 11!

I remember seeing a thread similar to this one when DX10 was being talked about ... SOOO much denial, then a month later here comes Microsoft with the official word. ROFL I am just waiting.;):p

Lmao, that was Cliffy B from Epic Games. Unreal engine 4 will be interesting to see if it doesn't use any API.

EDIT: Opps, it was actually Tim Sweeney. You can read the interview at http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/36410/118/

"realistically, I think that DirectX 10 is the last DirectX graphics API that is truly relevant to developers. In the future, developers will tend to write their own renderers that will use both the CPU and the GPU - using graphics processor programming language rather than DirectX."

Well, that will be an intresting change to Unreal Engine 4

He seems to be focused on consoles in his interview and that's why he's so focused on eliminating APIs. For consoles, you have one general hardware configuration that tons of people have due owning a specific console. With PCs, you need an API that can talk to almost any hardware that's utilized w/o worrying about being specific to any brand or model. I feel that he's become way too focused on MS's & Sony's possible next-gen consoles that he no longer has a care for how PCs are configured. To me, that show's he's become a lazy developer. It must be an Epic thing... one dev wants to do away with graphics APIs and Cliff B wants to go with super simplistic game controllers. Over opinionated shenanigans or truth molded from experience? I really don't know... but I disagree with both devs on a lot of what they say.

Yes, lets stop all innovation and just use what we have for a while :rolleyes:

Yeah, let's just release a new DirectX every 6 months (Like it happened in the beginning), so our cards will get outdated in 6 months, and it's features and faster performance will remain untapped because the developers are so fast adopting the new technologies that will simply skip to the newer tecnology, look at the huge DX10 game base!! So the videocard companies will be richer, Microsoft will be more rich and us the consumers will have to sell organs to buy outdated hardware. Woooo!!!! :rolleyes:

nVidia supports these features through an extension of DX10, so you don't REALLY need DX10.1 for it.

Ah, so you have DirectX10 with the .1 extentions and DirectX10 with .nvidia extentions? Thats pretty worthless. Nvidia supports some extentions, but they would probably need to be supported outside of DX10 since we don't have DX10.nvidia. Nvidia would have to support this themselves through CUDA or something.

You REALLY need DirectX 10.1 support if to have these features through DirectX with the speed required. The single cube map rendering per pass in DX10 versus the multiple, scalable and indexable cube map rendering in DX10.1 makes a lot of difference.

We'll see now, since EA, Blizzard, Sega and possible Valve now have joined to support DX10.1 in their upcoming games.

Aside from that, the image in that post was made by Henrik Wann Jensen in 2000, using his photonmapping raytracer, and has little, if anything, to do with DirectX 11.

That image has everything to do with global illumination, which it is an example of. Global illumination have been possible for many years already, but not fast enough for game usage. Same goes with ray tracing. DirectX10.1 and most likely also DirectX 11 will give the speed needed.

Back