Henrik Fisker Unveils Ambitious Luxury EV

HardOCP News

[H] News
Is anyone actually interested in this car? Well, besides Leonardo DiCaprio that is. The first round of Fisker's cars weren't confidence inspiring so I think I'll take a "wait and see" approach on these new ones.

Henrik Fisker has tweeted some new images of the EMotion electric car from Fisker Inc. with a theoretical 400 mile range and 161 mph top speed. Overall, it looks like a softer version of the original Fisker Karma EV from the side, with a grill-less snout like the Tesla Model S. The technical highlight is a new type of graphene battery, under development at UCLA, that (theoretically) charges faster than a lithium-ion model.

If they can pull off the graphene battery they might be onto something.

I keep hearing these stories about Graphene and Carbyne and all these miracle substances, but until we can produce them in significant quantities at a reasonable cost, they aren't actually useful.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
I'm more interested in what it potentially represents than anything. While I think it is pretty cool looking, it isn't like I am going to be able to afford it this side of ever. I'll be lucky to pay all my bills this week without over drafting lol. (bad month, don't ask). The 400m Range and advance in batteries is what has my attention. I have thus far expressed my lack of confidence in EV's from two perspectives; The first being usability for general purpose which encompasses Price, Range and convenience. The next being the overall experience when it comes to performance. Now I will state outright that they aren't going to be able to fix the overall experience as far as higher end sporty (fun) cars is concerned, but that isn't really an important issue. The thing I've wanted EV's to focus on is the usability for general purpose and thus far their price, range and size has been just deplorable. If something this small can potentially have a 400 mile range with this new technology, then there is reasonable hope that a small SUV can pack at least that much. The only thing up in the air after that is making it affordable to the average person without government subsidies.

If they can pull off the graphene battery they might be onto something.

I keep hearing these stories about Graphene and Carbyne and all these miracle substances, but until we can produce them in significant quantities at a reasonable cost, they aren't actually useful.

Here's the thing though. The battery is being developed by UCLA. That tells us that it's likely still in the research phase. Universities aren't in the battery manufacturering business, so they'd likely license the tech to a known manufacturer (Samsung, Sanyo/Panasonic, LG). That means it's years away from being economically viable as manufacturering has to work out the process kinks and get production yields high enough to get costs down.

That's assuming it isn't with a manufacturer already and UCLA is now just working out the kinks.

I haven't seen any Graphene based 18650 batteries (usually the first production cells to roll out, as it's the most economically viable form factor) come out of any manufacturers yet. I have seen some batteries labeled as "Graphene" but I believe if you look closely, that's just the trade name for the model.

He's (re)entering a soon to be crowded market with most car makers working on some form of pure EV (Chevy, Nissan, BMW have them, Ford is supposedly in the process).

Last edited:
I'm more interested in what it potentially represents than anything. While I think it is pretty cool looking, it isn't like I am going to be able to afford it this side of ever. I'll be lucky to pay all my bills this week without over drafting lol. (bad month, don't ask). The 400m Range and advance in batteries is what has my attention. I have thus far expressed my lack of confidence in EV's from two perspectives; The first being usability for general purpose which encompasses Price, Range and convenience. The next being the overall experience when it comes to performance. Now I will state outright that they aren't going to be able to fix the overall experience as far as higher end sporty (fun) cars is concerned, but that isn't really an important issue. The thing I've wanted EV's to focus on is the usability for general purpose and thus far their price, range and size has been just deplorable. If something this small can potentially have a 400 mile range with this new technology, then there is reasonable hope that a small SUV can pack at least that much. The only thing up in the air after that is making it affordable to the average person without government subsidies.
If you think that EV cars cannot be sporty, you just have not driven them. I have a Chevy Spark EV and that thing is a frickin' rocket! Tons of torque and at zero RPM! I would need to improve the tires and suspension to properly handle all the power it has. I would have never guessed what that car could do by looking at it.

If you think that EV cars cannot be sporty, you just have not driven them. I have a Chevy Spark EV and that thing is a frickin' rocket! Tons of torque and at zero RPM! I would need to improve the tires and suspension to properly handle all the power it has. I would have never guessed what that car could do by looking at it.

It isn't about torque its about the overall experience and EV's cannot fully replicate an ICE. That isn't debatable in the least. I'm glad just fast works for you, but it doesn't for me. I find EV's sterile and boring. It's like riding the roller coaster at a theme park. Sure it's fast, but it isn't the same.

Last edited:
If it's anything like the original Karma, it will be pretty garbage. Fisker needs to stick to designing cars and not building them.
Have a friend with the Karma.. software was never completed, so half of the console features do not work. The battery pack runs down the middle of the car where a traditional transmission would be, but it takes up a large portion of the cars interior.. which is pretty unsightly given the external of the car.

Suppose the software may have been fixed recently after the company went bankrupt and was auctioned off... only problem is, better hope you live close to one of maybe 10 service centers world wide.. lol.

Anyone else see the image of that car and think isn't that Tesla Model 3? Looks exactly like it...

Back