Henge Docks Horizontal

Interested in your take on this. I am getting a 13.3" rMBP here in the next few weeks and been looking at the Henge vert/horizontal docks to power 2 monitors while I am at home. Reviews seem very mixed on these, but I don't see much in the way of a better alternative.

That's pricey, and it probably won't work with your next laptop. Why not get a a standard thunderbolt expansion unit? They're not quite as tidy, but they're cheaper, more flexible, and don't block the Mac's built-in ports.

But, at least it's not a BookEndz. man those were pieces of shit. Glad they're gone.

I like that iPhone/iPad dock. My phone case will work with it, too. Not sure I wanna drop $70 bux for the thing.

That's pricey, and it probably won't work with your next laptop. Why not get a a standard thunderbolt expansion unit? They're not quite as tidy, but they're cheaper, more flexible, and don't block the Mac's built-in ports.

But, at least it's not a BookEndz. man those were pieces of shit. Glad they're gone.

Because none that i can find support 3 external monitors. And none support more than 1 if one monitor is not thunderbolt native.

That dock uses both your Mac's thunderbolt ports and the HDMI port to give you 3 display connections.

Correct. Which a thunderbolt expansion will not.

A thunderbolt expansion + an HDMI cable will though...

I guess you have to weigh plugging in one extra cable and having infinite upgradeability vs. not plugging in one extra cable and having zero upgradeability.

A thunderbolt expansion + an HDMI cable will though...

I guess you have to weigh plugging in one extra cable and having infinite upgradeability vs. not plugging in one extra cable and having zero upgradeability.

Thunderbolt Expansion + HDMI only works with a true thunderbolt monitor (not displayport via thunderbolt). So it really only supports one monitor from the dock with a non-Apple display (which is my case).

A dock no matter what is a luxury for less cords/pluggins. For me, a couple USB, power, 2 thunderbolts, 1 HDMI, audio, and network was worth it.

Dock came tonight.

Initial impressions: Great quality, packaging was phenomenal and kept the dock well protected. You get the dock, a power brick, and a standard computer cable (power brick uses standard PC 3 pin power cord).

Just got the dock setup with my monitors, powering all 4 (!!!) without an issue from my rMBP15 w/dedicated graphics. 2x 1980x1080 Dells via DisplayPort (connected to the thunderbolt/minidisplay ports on the dock) and 1x 2560x1440 ASUS via HDMI plus the integrated MBP Display.

Dock is actually fairly low profile, not much better than just the laptop, and feels VERY solid. Aluminum construction and nicely textured plastic for the laptop area. It fits the laptop perfect and the docking mechanism is a bit noisy, but worked no problem. Literally put the laptop in the cradle, punch the button and you are good to go.

Very nice! Any pictures?

Trying to decide if i can justify it for my MBA .... dont think I can right now (Dont use it on a desk away from the office often... and dont need a spare monitor for that)

Back