• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Helping my friend E8400 Temp?

Vashypooh

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
May 25, 2006
Messages
2,542
My friend is running an E8400 on an EVGA 780i motherboard with a Zalman 9700LED.

Coretemp is reporting temps of 42c idle on this processor.

Is the temperature off on these processors? I had him re-seat the heatsink a few times, and the temps are about the same.

Any ideas?
 
Apparently the temperature readings are quite inaccurate at the idle (low). You should just make sure they both move up when stressing both cores and that they return to normal when finished. If you get one core that stays on one temp and the other goes up and down (when idle / load), then you might have a 'stuck' sensor on your CPU.

I'm told that if you try a utility called 'RealTemp' it might give you a more accurate result (usually lower which everyone like to see). But really, if you see similar temperature readings with other utilities (everest etc.), its majority rule as far as I'm concerned. The E8400's have a max core temp of about 105c, so even if you idle at 40ish, you're way less than half max. You should monitor CPU case temp as well. A better heatsink / TIM will give you lower temps on your case.

P.S. My cores idle at at about 45c because of overclocking.
 
Actually, I believe the max is 95°c, not 105°.

At first, my Wolfie's sensors would not read below 35°c but after a few weeks they suddenly began operating more linearly...no idea why.

Whether or not you believe CoreTemp or RealTemp is not a big deal, your friend is still below the danger zone either way.
He might want to try RealTemp's "sensor test" and see how responsive his chip's sensors are, though.
 
and then there's the more "even worse case scenario" - that your cpu or heatsink isn't quite as flat as it should be. If you're not comfortable lapping your CPU, then you should at lease lap your HSF.
 
Lapping does nothing but void your cpu warrenty and the slight lowering of temp isn't even worth it to start with.

The E8400's have faulty thermal sensors on the chips it is all over the net. Heck mine is stuck @ core 0 =81°f core 1= 100°f on idle. Using both RealTemp and Core Temp and get the exact same readings with both. Just have to bare with it and quess at it between the two.

Good Day
 
Mine is 71 at load. I know for sure its not. The HSF is a Arctic Cooling Pro 7 and it is not hot at all to the touch (its in a Antec 900). I built a 6400 with the same HSF and at 60, the HSF feels quite warm.
 
RealTemp for me reports 26 idle 41 load on Core 1 using Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7 and Arctic Silver 5. When I used stock HSF, it was 37 idle 65 load. Core 0 is stuck.
 
My E8400 Core 0 is stuck at 36C (RealTemp)/46C (CoreTemp), but Core 1 ranges from 32C idle to 48C load per RealTemp (or 42C/58C per CoreTemp). The RealTemp sensor test indicates Core 0 sensor is stuck. Is a "stuck" sensor an indication of likely other problems? Or as long as things like a 12 hour stress test with Prime95 don't generate any errors, should I be okay?

Thanks,
pat----
 
My E8400 Core 0 is stuck at 36C (RealTemp)/46C (CoreTemp), but Core 1 ranges from 32C idle to 48C load per RealTemp (or 42C/58C per CoreTemp). The RealTemp sensor test indicates Core 0 sensor is stuck. Is a "stuck" sensor an indication of likely other problems? Or as long as things like a 12 hour stress test with Prime95 don't generate any errors, should I be okay?

Thanks,
pat----
My e3110 Xeon (same as e8400) had a 'stuck' sensor. Core 0 was stuck at 46c. My core 1 would range from 29 to 50 ish under load. I had to send it back and I am getting a new one next week. I used Core Temp, Real Temp and Speedfan, all showing a stuck core 0.
 
Back
Top