Helpful tools for Windows Server admins

I'll be trying out the Performance Analyzer....thanks for the links.

Thanks for the links. Performance adivisor doesn't install on my 2k3 server, but the other tools work fine.

sandmanx said:
Thanks for the links. Performance adivisor doesn't install on my 2k3 server, but the other tools work fine.

What errors does it give you, maybe we can sort it out. We have a quad Xeon 3Gz/12GB box that should be running like a champ, but instead is dragging. We are pretty sure its just bad coding in the app that its hosting (an Apple port of PowerSchool), and this should help us isolate it a bit better we think. Going to schedule it to run every 10 minutes for a good while and then slam a red bull and stare at logs for a few hours. :(

OldPueblo said:
What errors does it give you, maybe we can sort it out. We have a quad Xeon 3Gz/12GB box that should be running like a champ, but instead is dragging. We are pretty sure its just bad coding in the app that its hosting (an Apple port of PowerSchool), and this should help us isolate it a bit better we think. Going to schedule it to run every 10 minutes for a good while and then slam a red bull and stare at logs for a few hours. :(

It should be pretty simple once I take the time to look it up, I just don't really feel like jacking with it today. The error is:

The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This error can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance.

My guess is I'll need to update some software, that I don't feel like doing now because I'm dead tired. It's a Web Edition of W2K3 Server, so that might have something to do with it as well. All my other servers are still on Windows 2000 Server.

Another one that's a bit more publicized but still possibly unknown by many. For Enterprise/Datacenter only and still free:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/downloads/wsrm.mspx

"Windows System Resource Manager (WSRM) is available for use with Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition and Datacenter Edition. WSRM provides resource management and enables the allocation of resources, including processor and memory resources, among multiple applications based on business priorities."

Nice links. :)

Got any for checking A.D. Health that's free? I looked around the other day and couldn't find anything that was free.

edit: Nevermind. Looks like the P.A. does just that. :)

Is there any log analyzers that are free and give some relavent info? I hate sifting through mounds of useless BS trying to find a problem. I wish windows would just use syslog.

I would also like to find a program that could analyze a AD server and tell me when I user logs on and when they log off the domain, and give it to me in a simple format. All I ever see is tons of logons and logoffs for each user during the day, and it tells me jack shit. :mad:

sandmanx said:
Is there any log analyzers that are free and give some relavent info? I hate sifting through mounds of useless BS trying to find a problem. I wish windows would just use syslog.

I would also like to find a program that could analyze a AD server and tell me when I user logs on and when they log off the domain, and give it to me in a simple format. All I ever see is tons of logons and logoffs for each user during the day, and it tells me jack shit. :mad:

This might do both, though I don't know how well (never used it):

http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/ArticleID/27132/27132.html

Windows IT Pro is an excellent magazine and online resource, and I'd highly recommend a subscription to the mag and to the e-mail updates they send out regularly if you are a Windows admin. That's where I get most of my tips and tricks, etc. Back on the MS support lines for NT they actually wanted us to refer people to www.ntfaq.com (it grew from that) because its such a great information repository.

Edit: Found one more free monitoring tool http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/ArticleID/44985/44985.html

Res-erection!

One more, not quite as snazzy as the Windows Server 2003 Performance Advisor, but this one covers XP and 2000 as well as 2003:

Performance Monitor Wizard
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...9622-faa046d69214&displaylang=en&Hash=KX7DK75

"The Performance Monitor Wizard simplifies the process of gathering performance monitor logs. It configures the correct counters to collect, sample intervals and log file sizes. This wizard can create logs for troubleshooting operating system or Exchange server performance issues."

Back