Helpdesk Ticketing Software

Baredor

Gawd
What do you guys use? We're big enough now that we need to get some sort of simple ticketing system going so we can track things and assign stuff out to others who might be on another shift, etc.

Open source is great, paid is ok too as long as it's reasonable. Windows is preferred over Linux just because none of us are comfortably knowledgeable in it. I started looking at Request Tracker but am afraid of Linux complications. I have around 150 users/desktops and 20 servers. Any suggestions much appreciated.

LogMeIn Rescue

Works through the hardiest of corporate firewalls. Expensive, but it just works.

My boss pays about $1900 a year for one administrator (me) to be able to remote into an unlimited amount of users. When a person has a problem, they call me, and I create a new LogMeIn Rescue session for him. It generates a random 6-digit PIN number which I repeat to the person. They go to www.logmein123.com and enter the PIN number, and I take control of their PC. Nothing to it.

LogMeIn Rescue does reboots even in domain environments which is great in case you're required to reboot their PCs. It also does file sharing and many other things.

I would recomend LogMeIn Rescue to anyone. Don't make the mistake thinking it's the same as LogMeIn Free. It's not even close.

LogMeIn Rescue

Works through the hardiest of corporate firewalls. Expensive, but it just works.

My boss pays about $1900 a year for one administrator (me) to be able to remote into an unlimited amount of users. When a person has a problem, they call me, and I create a new LogMeIn Rescue session for him. It generates a random 6-digit PIN number which I repeat to the person. They go to www.logmein123.com and enter the PIN number, and I take control of their PC. Nothing to it.

LogMeIn Rescue does reboots even in domain environments which is great in case you're required to reboot their PCs. It also does file sharing and many other things.

I would recomend LogMeIn Rescue to anyone. Don't make the mistake thinking it's the same as LogMeIn Free. It's not even close.

Not really what the OP was looking for...

We use Magic where I work, but then again it's a rather large company spanning quite a few properties. It works well, but from what I've gathered it's rather costly, so it may not be useful to you.

We use Numera Footprints... much better than Trackit (our old system)

not sure how much Remedy costs, but I hate it - very clumsy interface. the only free one i have used is tkgnats .

We use Numara Track-It. Doesnt have all the bells and wistles that Footprints has, but a hell of alot cheaper and does more than we need for basic help desk ticketing. It has a web portal for users to submit/check status of their own tickets as a cheap add on as well.

Not really what the OP was looking for...

We use Magic where I work, but then again it's a rather large company spanning quite a few properties. It works well, but from what I've gathered it's rather costly, so it may not be useful to you.

Yeah it's my bad. When I see the word "helpdesk" I assumed it's something you need to help someone when they call you for tech support.

I've used Spiceworks before. It's got what you're looking for. (www.spiceworks.com)

Remote tracker - http://bestpractical.com/rt

Free, open source, heavily modifiable. Written in Mason (A Perl based language that's quite similar to PHP in many respects), not real sure about Windows support. We currently have it running on a Linux box. It's what we use here at work. Initially it was just the Help Desk using it. Now the entire IT dept. is using it. It's turned into a great tool, and it always feels great to shove work you're suppose to do onto a coworker you rarely if ever see :D

Plus it's used by NASA, or so I've heard. :p

I dont have any suggestions on what to get, but what not to.

Currently we use Wendia. It's web based, but complete crap. We used TrackIt before and might go back to them.

In a previous company we used Maximizer CRM for HelpDesk. It sucked, dont get it eaither.

Goodluck.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm starting to slowly look into all of these. So far I've only tried Spiceworks, but I'll try to check into everything mentioned.

We use something called BMC Service Desk Express, which used to be called Magic. It is web based and seems to work well, but I have no clue how much it costs.

We use Cerberus Helpdesk, currently we are still on Version 2.x. Version 3.x had some major design changes that I just didn't like and that didn't fit with our business. Luckily so many people complained about it that version 4.x has taken a lot of what was good about both versions (there were some pluses in 3.x). It's pretty good software overall and the company is easy to work with.

I have used a few programs, the smallest one i used was Bridgetrak i liked it a lot, you could enter a ticket in no time flat, and it has a web interface as well.

Going along the same lines as this, what's the best way of setting up your categories on the helpdesk package? Our company uses TrackIT from Numara and we're looking to revamp the categories when you enter a ticket. For example:

Hardware
Software
Web
Development
Networking

I've been trying to look up best practices for how to best set these categories up, but haven't found a whole lot of useful information. One thing to keep in mind, only the helpdesk techs will be entering information into the system. We do not allow users to automatically submit tickets because we want to control the uniformity of the information entered for reporting purposes, without having to have the techs go back in and edit already entered tickets. Any assistance with this would be appreciated. Sorry OP, not trying to hijack your thread, but I think this sorta follows along with the topic. If not, let me know and I'll start my own thread... ;)

Depends on what your business does, for example, we have

Application
- Business (Support)
- Clinical
- Financial
- Database
- Interfaces
- Web

Datacenter - operations

Facilities
- Power

Network
- Administration
- Connectivity

PCSupport
- Hardware
- Software

And so on, the sub catagories just refine who it gets routed to. We we are a huge company, so you may not to be so specific

I work for a small airline. I believe we have around 300 PC users. The software allows us three categories to drill down and we use all three for most issues. For instance, under Hardware we have Desktop and under Desktop we have Setup, Move and Network Connection. We want to have the most efficient setup we can manage, while still having the ability to have fairly precise reporting on the tickets we have.

Spiceworks is nice. However, at my work we have developed part of our Sharepoint site to be a full featured helpdesk.

I was looking into this topic of ticketing software too, and ran across a SharePoint template called "Helpdesk"

I work for a company of about 50 people, and it works great. Very customizable, and gets the job done.

Might be something to look into as a solution, if your looking for something "simple".

How are your initial Type categories setup?

Types are in a dropdown list, you can add your own if you'd like as well. But all your basics plus custom ones for the software we use here in the office.

Back