HelpDesk Software - Information and Suggestions

mokkapoop

[H]ard|Gawd
Where do I begin?

Over the past 2 years our companies HelpDesk department has used HelpSTAR in efforts to make our HelpDesk run efficiently. However, up until around April of this year, we were doing "so/so" with the version we had. In essence we had to upgrade to the most recent version of the software. This was a huge mistake - to lack there of a full story.

So, needless to say I am here to get some opinions and suggestions on software that everyone here uses. We are a 500+ user company with 3 reps who support the HelpDesk. We have 3 different departments in IT (Software, Technology Services, and HelpDesk) who use the current software. We work as a "team" - for the most past - in efforts to communicate and move requests around.

Since we are "hunting" for something new, here are some features we are looking for:

* Ability for end user to send email to HelpDesk - software auto creates ticket

* Open a ticket on behlaf of the end user (if they call in or whatever)

* Intergrated Knowledge Base system (we have a huge knowledge base right now that we want to carry over)

* Web Interface for end users

* Reporting (Tickets Opened/Closed, time spent working on ticket, rep evaluation, etc)

* Email Notifications to both end users and support reps

* Remote Assistance and diagnostics

* Possible Chat system

* Queues/Tiers

* Ability to set business rules, SLA's

* Ease of Administration - the easier the better

If I can think of more things I will put there in this list. For now, lets go with this. Now, I am looking for something that "has it all", but I also realize that is most likely not possible. I appreciate all help, suggestions, comments and what not.

Simplest one i have ever used is Bridge tack, but Sage and Remedy are others to look at.

I've used OneOrZero, with mailGate to get e-mail tickets.

It's ok, not as "advanced" as some systems but it works well.

Remedy is used at most companies. Not sure if its the best but it is the most used. It gets the job done.

Remedy is widely used, but it's out of the box experiance is not the best. It is a very powerful tool if configured properly and is planned maticulously (sp?). I have used it in the past and it worked well. The company that I was working for had an idiot for an admin. :)

Hope this helps.

Ditto on Remedy as well, we even got it to send us pages when tickets come in. Not a feature of Remedy mind you, but each email notification is forwarded to each specific tech's pager once a ticket is created.

Ditto on Remedy as well, we even got it to send us pages when tickets come in. Not a feature of Remedy mind you, but each email notification is forwarded to each specific tech's pager once a ticket is created.

Yeah, I'm using unicenter right now, it does paging with ease, only thing is you have to have 4 IE windows open to use it.

We use Advent Net Manager Engine Service Desk Plus. I like the interface, and it seems to work well. Just thought I'd throw it in the hat.

at my job, (law dept of nyc)

we use something called HEAT Call Logging

its great

man all that sure sounds good, were using service center we got well god about 1mil user's total. Lags like crazy!

CA has ServiceDesk (someone earlier mentioned Unicenter which is the brand name). If interested let me know, I work there and can probably have someone get you a trial or something if you wish.

If you are OK with opensource and not reliant on support you can look at SourceForge, they have several projects going.

Best of luck...

CA has ServiceDesk (someone earlier mentioned Unicenter which is the brand name). If interested let me know, I work there and can probably have someone get you a trial or something if you wish.

If you are OK with opensource and not reliant on support you can look at SourceForge, they have several projects going.

Best of luck...

I mentioned it, but i don't suggest it, i hate having to have 4 IE windows open just to make use of it.

Back