HelpDefrag says:Some file could not defrag..?

davidj

Gawd
When I try to defrag now XP w/sp2 says:some files on this volume could not be defragmented. Please check the report for the list of these files.

I could defrag a couple of days ago. I just uninstalled norton antivirus, and norton's ghost 2003 is still on my hd along with refresh force and the software for an USB hard drive. This drive is a 160G Seagate Cuda that did defrag flawlessly before today?

Please help me to correct this problem.

Thank you in advance. :)

Sometimes the Windows defrag program can't handle a file. You can fix it with O&O Defrag. They offer a thirty day free trial, so give it a shot. You'll like it.

Thank you for the helpful and speedy info. I will look into this software. I have a couple questions that I need to learn from. This is a brandnew 1 week old 160gig HDD. I have not even installed any games yet. Roughly 7 gigs is in use and the rest is free.

I defragged Sunday sevral times flawlessly, why is XP giong strange on me now :confused: :confused: :confused:

I have only disabled a few minor service for performance improvment, that is all that I have done.

I guess maybe you are saying that XP's defrag progam is weak by nature and my problem is a common one????

Below is a paste from the report file.

Volume (C:)
Volume size = 149 GB
Cluster size = 4 KB
Used space = 5.04 GB
Free space = 144 GB
Percent free space = 96 %

Volume fragmentation
Total fragmentation = 0 %
File fragmentation = 0 %
Free space fragmentation = 0 %

File fragmentation
Total files = 23,007
Average file size = 285 KB
Total fragmented files = 1
Total excess fragments = 5
Average fragments per file = 1.00

Pagefile fragmentation
Pagefile size = 2.00 GB
Total fragments = 1

Folder fragmentation
Total folders = 1,691
Fragmented folders = 1
Excess folder fragments = 0

Master File Table (MFT) fragmentation
Total MFT size = 26 MB
MFT record count = 24,743
Percent MFT in use = 93 %
Total MFT fragments = 2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fragments File Size Files that cannot be defragmented
None

Back