HELP!!!

dtess17

2[H]4U
Ok so my raptor decided to be awesome and stop working...normally i would just rma the drive and be done with it...here is the problem, i have a research paper on it that i need, and i really really do not want to write the whole thing over again. what can i do to get this data....i only need like 3-5 min in windows

the drive just won't boot to windows, it get's stuck on the splash screen and sometimes doesn't go that far. i've tried safe mode, but still nothing.
i enabled smart and it says i have a bad sector or whatever and to backup.....but i can't get into windows to figgin back up

please someone help me get this paper off of it.

ohh i don't know if it matters, but when the drive spins up to start loading windows it clicks spins down then starts again

Put it in a ziploc bag, in a freezer for an hour. Then hook it up, with the drive upside down, and get the data you need as soon as possible.

Dew said:
Put it in a ziploc bag, in a freezer for an hour. Then hook it up, with the drive upside down, and get the data you need as soon as possible.

i'll try that out...
how does the freezer help?

dtess17 said:
i'll try that out...
how does the freezer help?

It supposedly condenses some drive material, I've seen it work first hand. If the freezer doesn't work, try giving the drive a few gentle love taps to see if you can't get the head unstuck.

serbiaNem said:
It supposedly condenses some drive material, I've seen it work first hand. If the freezer doesn't work, try giving the drive a few gentle love taps to see if you can't get the head unstuck.

well i tried the drive in the freezer for an hour but that didn't work

i'll put it in once more and if that doesn't work....well i think i might get a little angry.
I know i should have backed the paper up, but the drive just went out of nowhere...just one day smart was bad.

Possibilty you can install windows on a seperate drive (just do a base install you dont need anything special unless you were using it in raid or something) and then attach the raptor and see if windows detects it (this way you dont have to actually have the drive up long enough for windows to boot just to get the file) Also, the freezer trick will work sometimes and the cold causes the platters to contract and teh head will unstick (sometimes) also the smacking the drive works as well to unstick a head (I have done/seen both work--scared teh heck out of me the first time years ago when I watched a friend tech pick up a 2GB SCSI drive (back when they were 2-3K a drive) and drop it from about waist height to the floor and then pick it up and then Netware booted right up (and we retrieved the data QUICKLY)

BTW you might have better luck if while you were installing windows you let the Raptor feel like the extinct bird it is by encasing it in ice (IE put it back in the freezer) and it may allow you to spin it up long enough to get the file you need

I agree with Tormond.

Install windows on a different drive, then hook up the Raptor afterwords as a secondary drive to get the data off of it.

==>Lazn

thanks for your helps guys....i will try all of the above.

i just don't wanna write another paper.

i tried freezing the drive, and when i say freezing i mean it, it had ice forming on it. i gave it a love tap or two (ok i beat the drive untill it said mercy) and tried getting in. No luck, so i grabbed an extra drive installed winxp and the drive doesn't show up...i hit the drive a few times and it shows up but won't really let me access much of anything.I can hear it clicking and spinning. I again get angry and strike the drive. Back to the freezer

Hook it all back up, and i get far enough to run a diskcheck on the drive and let it attempt to fix the bad sectors, it fails half way through, but the drive is now staying in windows, i dual boot in safe mode got my paper, and no sooner do i unplug my flash drive it starts clicking. The drive will not boot anymore no matter what i do.

I thank all of you that helped out, it would have been a bitch to re write this whole thing. 25 pages of research, i've decided to always back things up in 2 or more places from now on.

Now it's time to RMA this drive and get a new one.

Again thank you all for your help

Glad you got your paper off it. The click of death (or clank as I like to call it) is probably the worst thing that can happen to a drive (well with the exception of letting my 2 year old near it). I would MUCH rather have some bad sectors etc and lose a few things than have the drive not spin up at all

It truly is amazing what a little anger and a large hammer can do isn't it :)

Tormond said:
Glad you got your paper off it. The click of death (or clank as I like to call it) is probably the worst thing that can happen to a drive (well with the exception of letting my 2 year old near it). I would MUCH rather have some bad sectors etc and lose a few things than have the drive not spin up at all

It truly is amazing what a little anger and a large hammer can do isn't it :)

Hammer? Who said anything about a hammer? I was refering to my fist. I might keep the hammer idea for the future though

make sure you don't tell the RMA department about it though ;)

[the freezer and the fist]

By RMA this drive and get a new one, you mean RMA this drive, get a new one and get an external USB hard drive for backup right. :D Alternatively, you could back stuff up onto optical discs. No sense having to go through this again.

general said:
By RMA this drive and get a new one, you mean RMA this drive, get a new one and get an external USB hard drive for backup right. :D Alternatively, you could back stuff up onto optical discs. No sense having to go through this again.

haha, i'm gonna set up a raid 1 for my storage drive, keep the raptor as my boot drive, and use some dvd sor an extra from now on.

Glad you got your paper back, man. The only raptor I ever (and will ever have) owned got the click of death after, oh, about 2 hours of use :mad: Only on mine, it was making a lot of noise on boot, and then it made a very loud snapping sound, then instant blue screen.

Slartibartfast said:
Glad you got your paper back, man. The only raptor I ever (and will ever have) owned got the click of death after, oh, about 2 hours of use :mad: Only on mine, it was making a lot of noise on boot, and then it made a very loud snapping sound, then instant blue screen.

it really is just a horrid feeling knowing the drive is about to die.

I guess it could have happend to any drive, i've had pretty good luck with WD overall, this is the first drive that ever died on me, and i wouldn't doubt that the shipping might have had something to do with it, i was very unimpressed with how it was packed by newegg.

the drive is fast as hell though, games seem to load a fair amount faster, and my OS does boot a few seconds faster aswell. I'll give it another try.

Back