Help, XP keeps checking file system on startup.

Brodel

Limp Gawd
Hey

I was overclocking my computer and the bios didn't like it. I reset it via the motherboard jumpers and it's fine now apart from every time I try to load windows it gets past the loading screen and then this appears...

I've let it complete and figured that was it, but it happens every time I startup. Does anyone know how I can fix it?

I would first download the diag tool for your hard drive, and test the drive out.

thanks, I just tested the drive and my other drive as well and they both came back as running fine. :confused:

Thanks, I ran Memetest for about 26 passes and came up with 0 errors.

Thanks for the links, I took a look at them but to be honest they seemed to do the opposite for example...

Method 2: Check the Session Manager registry entry
Warning If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk. Follow these steps, and then quit Registry Editor:
1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
2. Locate and then click the following key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\BootExecute
3. On the Edit menu, click Modify.
4. Type autocheck autochk *, and then press ENTER.

I looked there and already had "autocheck autochk *" typed in, to me it looked like it was an instruction to autocheck every time I booted, so I removed it and it works fine now. The thing I didn't get was that the instructions to stop it were not to remove it, but to add it. :confused:

It seems ok now that I removed that entry, does that seem ok to everyone or should it be put back?

Brodel said:
I looked there and already had "autocheck autochk *" typed in, to me it looked like it was an instruction to autocheck every time I booted, so I removed it and it works fine now. The thing I didn't get was that the instructions to stop it were not to remove it, but to add it. :confused:

It seems ok now that I removed that entry, does that seem ok to everyone or should it be put back?
Odd...

I'm not sure the article is wrong. That value is what I have in my registry and it obviously isn't scanning on each boot.

I would test by putting it back, otherwise it may not do the scan when it's supposed to.

Back