Help! X2 4800 causing hard lockups

brachy33

Gawd
Just installed my new X2 4800 with a fresh installation of WinXp Pro /w SP2. Gave the CPU a nice new rice-sized piece of AS5 and reinstalled my XP-90 HSF. After making sure that the 123 Errata was set to auto in the BIOS, I reformatted and got all my windows stuff updated and new drivers installed.

After completely updating my system and adjusting the pagefile and startup programs, I decided to test the new chip out on a fresh install of Far Cry and all the necessary patches.

With everything apparently running just fine, my machine began to hard lockup in the middle of playing Far Cry. The screen freezes and I can hear the game sounds still playing in the background, but nothing as far as controls go. The only way to get out of the lockup is to power off the machine. That sucks! Haven't had that kind of an issue since my old Athlon XP days ~3 years ago.

Current system specs:

X2 4800 w/ Thermalright XP-90
DFI nF4 SLI-D (BIOS 6/23/05 and 6.86 chipset drivers)
2 - 1Gb OCZ Platinum 2 modules @ 2-3-2-5-1T 2.8V
2 - 7800 GTX 256MB cards in SLI (Forceware 91.33)
X-Fi Fatal1ty (2.09.0001 drivers)
PC Power and cooling 510SLI

Prior to the X2 4800 I was running an A64 4000+ San Diego for over a year without ANY issues. I am not overclocking this machine right now.

I tried the AMD Dual Core optimizer, the AMD Dual Core Driver and manually setting the processor affinity for play in Far Cry. The game keeps locking my machine up now. This has never happened to this machine before prior to using the X2 4800.

Do you all think that the hard lockup is indicative of a dual core problem or something else I am missing???

Thanks for any help.

I have been reading that thread for over 6 months now in preparation for the day I got and installed my first X2 chip. Every fix on that thread I have used or tried to use with my machine and it is still hard locking during play in Far Cry.

I wasn't under the impression that the X2 chips caused hard locking of the system, but rather were causing hitching and slow/speed up problems. Has anyone with an X2 that has had some sort of a problem ever had their system actually lockup during gameplay???

have you ruled out the video card?

if it's running okay and only farcry is locking it up, then perhaps its not the x2.

have you run any other games like cod2?

zv

No, I have not ruled out one of the video cards. In fact, I recently added separate copper heat sinks to the memory modules on the back of one of my 7800GTX cards. I wonder if the heat sinks are not seated properly and are not cooling the memory on that card enough?? Is it reasonable to say that the memory overheating on one of the cards in an SLI setup would cause the game freezing??

brachy33 said:
Is it reasonable to say that the memory overheating on one of the cards in an SLI setup would cause the game freezing??

More than reasonable. Very likely. double check those, and maybe try running the game with just one card out of SLI as you continue to troubleshoot.

have you tried any other relatively recently released games since the cpu swap (aside from farcry of course)

I usually have BF2, FEAR, D3, COD2 and Oblivion on my machine at any given time, but I just reformated and the first game I installed to test out the new X2 was Far Cry. So, I really should test my other games out just to cancel out the possibility that the problem is only due to a corrupt installation of Far Cry.

First off, I think I am going to pull out that older 7800GTX that I added the ram-sinks to and see if the single card in a non-SLI setup still causes the freezing. Man that would suck if those memory modules are F'ed up in some way...

Thanks for the input.

Sorry for the accusations against such a kick ass processor! *Puckers lips and smooches out a symbolic kiss at HSF over X2 4800*

I figured out that the bottom 7800GTX in my SLI setup was having over heat issues, whereby the memory was overheating and causing my game freezes and lockups.

After removing the bottom card, optimizing my BIOS and DFI board again, I absolutely swear that my machine is not only more responsive than it has ever been, but BF2 and Far Cry are now FASTER and SMOOTHER than ever before! It's a beautiful thing.

By the way, I did NOT have to apply any Dual Core Optimizers or Dual Core drivers, at all. Since removing the culprit card and readjusting my system and after playing BF2, FEAR, and Far Cry for several hours, all is well.

I am loving this AMD X2!!!! *And to think I almost spent $600 on a whole new C2Duo setup!!*

;P

Back