HELP!! won't start up

[m]idas06

n00b
My PC won't start up,it's stuck in a death cycle of rebooting, then going to the screen saying "your computer was not shut down properly last time, how do you want to start it"

with the options
-safe mode (3 types)
-settings of last successful startup
-start normally

NONE of these work. Help please! I really don't want to have to reformat.

If it helps, when I try to start it in safe mode, all the loading files come up until it gets stuck on WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\Mup.sys

Then it restarts again.

bump.jpg

Put in your windows disk and do a repair and then your computer will go into command line type in (fixboot) without ( ) these and hit return your comp will ask if you are you sure type yes then hit return your computer will say that your boot record is fixed take out your windows disk and restart.

Hopefully this will work for you.

Covertoperator said:
Put in your windows disk and do a repair and then your computer will go into command line type in (fixboot) without ( ) these and hit return your comp will ask if you are you sure type yes then hit return your computer will say that your boot record is fixed take out your windows disk and restart.

Hopefully this will work for you.

If does not work and its XP do a 2nd repair option and do a repair on windows itself.

i am currently having the same problem on a friends computer, i dont know what he did to it after i went to work, but when i came back it was turned off, lately he's had lots of viruses and trojans, avg pops up with them left and right, but this time its bad, im actually in safe mode with networking right now, i tried doing the fixboot with this win xp pro upgrade cd i have, but it still keeps on rebooting after the login on to windows xp window. he has xp home with sp2.
he doesnt know much about computers, he likes downloading all kinds of crap constantly and sadly its the only pc i have to use too so ive been trying to fix it for the past few days, there are just so many trojans and what not on it from all the crap he constantly downloads, ive got him to stop using limewire, i got avg and addaware on here, iv'e ran them both in safemode with networking enabled, tried re-booting the pc and it still keeps restarting, any ideas? cause im out of them.
help. s.o.s

btw....he doesnt have his windows xp cd.

update:

well, turns out avg was the problem, i uninstalled it after trying several other things, cleaned the registry using regscrubxp, got one of those online free scans and it deleated some viruses, but im sure it was avg, my friend said that it came up with a message and he hit ok and the computer restarted on its own and went in to its loop.

thanks n e wya, will try re installing avg agian see if the problem doesnt arive.

Back