Help with Windows XP

DeepSpin

n00b
Hello,

I'm fixing a Sony Vaio desktop computer for a family friend and I'm having some difficulty with it. The machine turns on just like normal and goes to a screen where you can select how you'd like to boot up. The choices are Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, Last Known Good Configuration, Start Windows Normally. Here's what happens:

Start Windows Normally - Machine locks up once you press enter, screen does not change at all. Timer stays locked at the number of seconds left.

Last Known Good Configuration - Machine goes to a blank black screen and goes no further.

Safe Mode with Command Prompt - Machine begins to load drivers, gets down to this file, multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\IPVNMon.sys and goes no further. Like it locks up.

Safe Mode with Networking - Same as Safe Mode with Command Prompt.

Safe Mode - Same as Safe Mode with Command Prompt.

I let the timer run down to 0 and the machine just locks up at 0. Nothing happens at all.

Any idea as to what the problem is? The guy's daughter says it may be a virus. I'm thinking of just reformatting and installing from the CDs.

Thanks,
Lance

did someone fuck up with system files?
hard to tell what it could be. I would put the windows XP cd and run repair
If you don't have anything special , formatting would be a wise choice if you can't figure it out at all. usually there's always a solution

Try to repair your installation before anything else. If that does work, rin an antivirus immediately upon bootup. I have seen executable infector viruses cause this problem before.

I would download a copy of Bart's PE and boot off that and try to recover any very important files before messing around too much. I haven't tried it yet, but if it is anything like ERD Commander, you will be able to access the files on the hard drive etc. as well as have access to the registry etc. So it is a good little place to start.

This happened to me just yesterday.. although it seems it always happens to me whenever a power outage goes through my house. What causes this is when system files get corrupt. An easy fix.. boot from the windows XP CD, run chkdsk /f , and then re-install windows. It takes about an hour, but that should fix it right up. (Don't format, you don't need to, just re-install windows over the partition).

Back