Help with weird laptop charging behavior

trent51

n00b
I have an older laptop, first gen i3.

Battery was replaced several months ago with an aftermarket battery which has been in use for about 4 months. Charger is an OEM HP unit and I have also tried another OEM HP charger to test whether or not the problem is the charger. Replacing the charger does not solve the issue. The connection to the charging port seems tight and wiggling it does not interrupt charging. Battery contacts look normal.

I'm experiencing this odd charging behavior where charging stops happening and battery begins to drain. However, if I remove the battery and snap it back in place the charging resumes as normal. This is repeatable. What could be causing this? Unit is loaded with a clean install of Windows 10 and no HP utilities are installed.

My son's laptop (a Dell XPS) was doing the same thing. Would charge for a while, then stop and kill the battery. Eventually the battery wouldn't charge at all and the system wouldn't turn on. Had to have the motherboard replaced under warranty.

They also noted that the battery was swollen and replaced it too, so I don't know if the bad battery damaged the motherboard, or if the motherboard damaged the battery. You could try a new battery and see if the problem goes away, if not I you'll probably have to replace the motherboard.

Back