Help with WD Red WD80EFZX-68UW8N0

Discussion in 'SSDs & Data Storage' started by bencho, May 29, 2018.

1. bencho

bencho 2[H]4U

Hi!

Can anyone advise on my hard drive?

I've had it in my new rig for maybe 6 months but it's fairly clicky/loud and it is CONSTANTLY at 11-20% write even when my computer is totally idle.

Below is the output from CrystalDiskInfo. Nothing reports as bad but... what the hell is causing all this activity??

2. bencho

bencho 2[H]4U

Anyone else having similar issues or can comment?

3. mda

mda [H]ard|Gawd

I have two in my NAS/Synology and it's louder than my other drives but can't comment on idle usage...

4. drescherjm

drescherjm [H]ardForum Junkie

How are you determining that? Is this from windows task manager or similar application to measure disk activity at the OS level? If so something in the OS is causing this.

5. bencho

bencho 2[H]4U

drescherjm - Yes. Just using Task Manager. That's still odd though... How would one begin tracking this down?

6. drescherjm

drescherjm [H]ardForum Junkie

7. Spartacus09

Spartacus09 [H]Lite

Task manager isn't actual usage of the disk, the percentage refers to the disk activity time (disk read and write time).
    The better number to look at would be disk transfer rate and check the resource monitor for more detailed usage.

8. Luke M

Luke M Limp Gawd

Is this your main OS drive? In that case it's not so surprising. Win10 is always hitting my main drive (an SSD) hard. So much crap running in the background you could spend the rest of your life tracking it down.