HELP with viruses!!!

kanuuker

n00b
I'm working on a friends laptop and need some help. Apparently he's not exactly internet savvy as I've found over 400 instances of spyware and over 60 different viruses (not infections but actual different viruses!) It's a bloody mess. Anyway, I've got most of it cleaned now except for about 50 viruses left in the c:/_restore folder. The OS won't let me change or delete the folder or anything inside it. The rest of the computer is clean.

I've never had to deal with something like this before as I'm mostly a hardware guy. What are my options short of doing a complete reinstall?

I've used Kaspersky, AVG, Norton, and Bitdefender to work on the viruses. As a side note, I have to admit very disapointed with Norton. It only found 2 viruses where AVG found 31 and Kaspersky and Bitdefender both found over 50.

Personally with that much infection, I would do a reinstall. No telling what is left over (files/backdoors) that weren't cleaned or detected.

I agree with the guy above to rid yourself of related problems but if thats not an option and I'm assuming your using ME, 2k, or XP there should be an option if you right click my computer goto properties and select system restore then turn it off for all drives should work otherwise the infections will continue.

It's WindowsME. When I go to c:'s properties and then to system restore clean up nothing happens, it just sticks. Can system restore be removed or turned off altogether?

Back