• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Help with video card recommendations?

rive22

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Mar 10, 2004
Messages
4,645
Hey what's up guys. I'm looking for an average minimum requirement video card to run audio graphics full screen visualizations through programs I'll just use for example like winamp, itunes etc on a 1920x1080 23" display.

Right now I'm using just the onboard G31 from a Gigabyte board matched with an E3200 Overclocked to 3.2ghz on a 1440x900 display and it of course can't keep up.

I'm a bit non-fluent in the video card world. I'm upgrading to an I5 soon with SSD, which calls for new board & ram, etc, and everything so I'm looking to get the best bang for buck card for now that can handle this until I can upgrade to something better.

I'm not sure if I should go with 128 vs 256 bits, 512mb vs 1gb, and ddr2 vs ddr3, nvidia vs ati. I've seen a bunch of cards in the $40-75 range that seem like they could do this no prob but I just want to make sure and see what you guys think would be best. Silence is also very important so I'm willing to dish out the extra cash for a fan that is as quiest as possible.

What are yall recommendations? Thanks!
 
Last edited:
Almost any separate GPU from the past three generations of cards should be able to handle that. Memory type and speed will have little to no noticeable impact for what you are talking about. Something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125250 would work just fine for you as a holdover card, provided you have somewhat decent air flow in your case.
 
Thanks a ton man! I bought it. That card looks perfect for what I need right now. I figured something like that should do for now, I wanted to make sure. Thanks for sure man!
 
Back
Top