Help with TV speaker setup?

ChwyNiblet

Limp Gawd
Hey folks, for the longest time I was just running the sound through my TV. I have a pair of Samson Resolv studio monitors laying around and I'm assuming they'll sound leagues better than the onboard audio on my TV.

My question is how should I go about doing this? The only device I use on the TV is my Xbox One. Also something to keep in mind is the only input the speakers take is speaker wire.

So my question is how should I connect these monitors to my TV? I'd prefer not to go through a receiver because I don't want to buy one. Would it be possible to maybe use speaker wire to RCA?

No they are NOT powered speakers, they only have inputs for speaker wires on the back. Also they're resolv 65 speakers I believe.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
You can also buy a decent used receiver from your local Craigslist for next to nothing. I found a rather sweet A/V receiver not too long ago for $50.

The RCA outputs on your TV are line level (unpowered) and speakers require speaker level connections (powered).

Yeah the only output my TV has is a coaxial audio output. So I'm thinking a receiver may be the only "one-stop" answer here. I could get a DAC into an AMP but that wouldn't be very ideal.

If you are not concerned about the TV warranty it might be reasonable to direct wire your speakers to the TV speaker wires. Specs are likely available but your TV probably has about 10 to 20 watt output for 6 or 8 ohm speakers. The internal speakers are likely marked for ohm rating. If your external speakers are efficient and of matching ohm rating, you could disconnect your internal speakers and run the leads (extended as needed) to your external speakers.
I have done this for a couple of my TVs and used them for many years with no problem. Benefit was much improved sound, volume controlled via the remote, and no needed purchase of external amplifier. In fact I am using one of these right now in my office --- large 42" TV with three-way 10" Yamaha speakers. Really sounds great for movies, music, and voice, with no subwoofer required. But do know what you are doing in matching the components for use or you can burn out the soundboard in the TV.

Back