Help with troubleshooting no video: Precision T1650

the_servicer

2[H]4U
I bought this five-year-old Dell desktop computer on eBay about nine months ago and finally got around to setting it up today. There is no picture on my Dell display connected by VGA. The monitor's power light is amber; playing with the buttons on the display confirms there is no signal. I think it is more likely that something is wrong with the computer. The computer's front power light illuminates amber very briefly when first powered on, then switches instantly to solid white. It stays white as long as the computer is running. There are no beeps. The diagnostic light on the PSU is solid green all the time.

The computer came with no hard drive, so I installed an SSD before attempting to power it on. I also installed an internal Wi-Fi card while the case was open.

The problem occurs when only the display is connected to the computer. It also occurs if I have a USB keyboard and a USB mouse connected.

I am using the single VGA port available. There are also two DisplayPort connections which I have not tried because I have no experience with DisplayPort.

Edited to add: When I disconnect the VGA cable from the computer with the computer off and the display on, the display suddenly wakes up and says there is no VGA cable. So that seems to indicate the VGA cable is good.

Any ideas about how I can make it show video?

Last edited:
Is there an IPMI port you can connect to ethernet and check the system that way?

Thank you for your replies.
Id start off with a different gpu if you have one. Is it using onboard graphics?
I don't have another GPU on hand because in trying to keep things simple, I have actually never messed with discrete graphics. Now that I am this far invested, I suppose I might need to take your suggestion and get a graphics card (even though I don't really like them). I bought this machine with integrated graphics specifically for easy use with Ubuntu.
Is there an IPMI port you can connect to ethernet and check the system that way?
I had never heard of such a thing until you mentioned it. There is one single ethernet port and I will need to investigate the specs to determine "Intelligent Platform Management Interface" functionality. If IPMI is present in this computer, I don't know how I could possibly make use of it, but at least I will be that much better informed.

I would think white is the color the light is supposed to be. Orange after boot likely indicates a fault, along with flashing and beep codes. Unfortunately without another monitor, vga cable, or computer, it's hard to test stuff. Do you have a computer or laptop with a vga port to test the monitor and cable at least?

There exist neither flashes nor beeps. Prior to solid white, amber appears quicker than the blink of an eye, which I understand to indicate no fault.
I would think white is the color the light is supposed to be. Orange after boot likely indicates a fault, along with flashing and beep codes. Unfortunately without another monitor, vga cable, or computer, it's hard to test stuff. Do you have a computer or laptop with a vga port to test the monitor and cable at least?
Yes, I can test another computer with a VGA port. I will believe the monitor is working fine. So for good measure, I will take your suggestion and prove it.

Back